New G4 Rack Server Possible Smoke Screen For New Apple Device

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr. Anderson, May 9, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: New G4 Rack Server Possible Smoke Screen For New Apple Device

What if these things are going to use embedded processors? IE G5's? I feel that something big is about to go down. Let's all put an ear to the ground and see what we come up with.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: New G4 Rack Server Possible Smoke Screen For New Apple Device

I saw this... and feel that it's just idle speculation on the part of whoever wrote this.

They are basing this entirely on two things:

1) The Harry Knowles commercial... which someone posted a description of... and appears simply to be generic Apple marketing

2) The fact that the media is invited next week.... I don't think it's surpising that the media is invited to a product (macrack) annonucement.

From this, they are speculating that there's a secret product?

c'mon!

arn

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But I've been reading MacUserUK for some time now, and they've never really been highly speculative in the past, they mostly deal with news. It just seemed to me that if they were willing to get into the rumor game that there might be more to it than what they're saying.

Anything we add to the story at this point is speculation. I don't know what the new hardware could be, but I'm looking forward to the 14th more more anticipation because of this.

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

What not to name the new Rack Mount computer

i don't want your crack ;) (get it.. ma crack)

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: What not to name the new Rack Mount computer

You best respect Arn's authority! I've been around these boards long enough to know that Arn is the man, and if you mess with him, he and his posse of maccies will throw down on you.

(A mac rumble --> Arn, Dukestreet, and Alphatech come strolling down a dark alley, all trying to snap their fingers to a rhythm, but failing... Perterjhill and his crew leaning up against a wall trying to look tough... When your a mac your always a mac... Lisa, Lisa, I met a girl name Lisa...)

7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: Re: What not to name the new Rack Mount computer

I do (note "wink" in message). Your post was pretty funny though

8. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

mcrain -

you seem to be changing your icon every time I see your posts. Are you just experimenting to find out what works for you, or is your style to have a new icon every day?

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Re: What not to name the new Rack Mount computer

somehow i never expected to come across a west side story parody at macrumors. too funny.[​IMG]

10. jasonpaul75 macrumors member

Smoke Screen Clears to show...

In addition to the servers (a sure thing if I ever heard one)....Steve will pause to talk about how the racks are the largest macs in size and girth....and proceed to talk about the smallest mac..."The i-slate" (wicked tablet system)

We can all dream...but I think this is unlikely...Apple isn't in the pattern of developing "bleeding edge first generation solutions)...They are however in the habit of establishing where the current generation of hardware is rough and smoothing it out. See the quality of the Titanium Power Book with sweet widescreen...or the nearly "revolutionary" IPOD...I could go on.

Instead I am expecting to see a combination Digital Camera...takes high maybe 2 megapixal images....high quality video for input into imovie...and sits comfortably next to your mac (with a slight incline or swival) for use as the best darned web cam ever produced. I just saw an issue of a tech magazine with like twenty different kinds of these on the cover. "Apple has done it better"...and you can quote me on that.

My friends were coworkers were amazed as my prediction for chat popped up last week...I also forsaw the chat software to have a video conferencing qualities with it...If IM software is as much of a killer app as e-mail...imagine how crazy useful quality video chat could become. It has been in the works from apple forever...and as soon as the Sorenson lawsuit was in place the pressure freed them up for Mpeg greatness....

The Harry Knowles connection is simple...he always is attending premieres and so are his gang...imagine a commercial where he talks about how dangerous his site will be if the could sneak in this little imaging dynamo...

11. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

iSlate

I like the tablet idea. Especially in light of the rumored airport clustering and wireless admin ability. Imagine a tablet for that. Techies running all over the place, and managing huge server arrays from a tablet the size of say, the 15 LCD.

Ah, sweet fantasy

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I finally got my swerve on. Had trouble sluggin up my grill, so to speak. The ani gif's weren't gettin along with me, til I found my axe baby!

(Yes, to all you spymac lurkers, I'm a moron, you can go back to your mothership and tell your leaders that we're all nuts, at least I am)