New G5 2.0 what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yarmac, Jul 29, 2004.

1. yarmac macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004

I'm looking to buy a new mac, my old G4 has treated me well for the past four years but I'm going to ease it into retirement. So I want to get a 2.0 G5, but I'm not sure if I should get the "new" model or the previous one. Is there any signifigant difference in the machines, other than the graphics card and the wait?

2. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    The new 2.0 has a 90NM processor but it's not faster for some reason.

I bet the old 2.0's are more expensive.

I'd get a new 2.0 with an FX6800 because of the price (especially if you can get a student/teacher to buy it for you)
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The "newer" old dual-2.0s have the same components as the newest ones - aside from the 90nm G5 and video options (many even have an 8X SuperDrive). In other words, same power supply, etc.

If the "old" one is a lot less, go for it. I've had my "ancient" (purchased last September) one with zero difficulties using the base 9600 video card.
  4. yarmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004
    The price is the same for either, I'm thinking about going through expercom since they bundle applecare with the computer and have no shipping or tax. The newest ones don't ship until mid august and I need to have a new computer so I can work from home when the Republican convention starts.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The new rev. B 1.8/2.0 G5s tested out as a 130nm processor when they hit the store, but of course that test was done by Michiro Isobe.

We most likely got the 130nm stock because they we a ship now product intead of a August/September available product like the slightly higher clocked 90nm parts. :(