New G5 and PC need to see the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacRob, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MacRob macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2005
    I need some help. My wife has a sony desktop and I just bought a new mac G5. I need both computers to see the internet. How is the best
    way to do this?
    Should I get a Linksys Wireless G router and Wireless G card for the sony desktop and then plug my G5 from the ethernet port into the back of the Linksys wireless router.
    Will the Linksys wireless router work with the G5? How hard is it to set the G5 up to see the internet?
    Should I buy the Apple Airport Exress and the Linksys Wireless G card for the sony? How hard will it be for the Airport Express to see the
    sony desktop. Are the instructions easy?
    What should I do?
    Is there a better way?

Thanks for all your help!
  2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I assume you have broadband...

Wireless is the same (802.11b or g) on PCs and Macs. Any wireless router should work with both. Or, since both of your computers have Ethernet ports, you could just get a non-wireless router and run a cable to both computers. Wireless or wired, however you wanna do it. Since the Linksys Wireless G router is so much cheaper than the AirPort Express base station, I would just get one of these. The router is easy to configure and should come with clear instructions to help you, but you can always post again here if you have troubles. Hope this helps
  3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005

Its so easy to configure and install and while it lacks some features of the AirPort, like AirTunes for Express or cool design for Extreme, Linksys routers all have amazing software setups and easy to create accounts... plus they don't look THAT bad, although it IS blue and black.

I reccomend a Wired/Wireless Linksys Router, just in case you want to make your G5 or Sony a server (Reccomended Win 2000 Server edition though)
  4. Ganymede macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I currently run a home network with the Linksys WRT54G, and everything was really easy to set up and works wonderfully. It offers both wired and wireless connectivity and my mixed Mac/PC network hasn't had any problems originating from the router. Now, problems originating with XP SP2 are another story, but the router works very well. I'd recommend it, and it's on sale just about everywhere right now.