New G5 and PC need to see the internet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacRob, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MacRob macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2005
    I need some help. My wife has a sony desktop and I just bought a new mac G5. I need both computers to see the internet. How is the best
    way to do this?
    Should I get a Linksys Wireless G router and Wireless G card for the sony desktop and then plug my G5 from the ethernet port into the back of the Linksys wireless router.
    Will the Linksys wireless router work with the G5? How hard is it to set the G5 up to see the internet?
    Should I buy the Apple Airport Exress and the Linksys Wireless G card for the sony? How hard will it be for the Airport Express to see the
    sony desktop. Are the instructions easy?
    What should I do?
    Is there a better way?

Thanks for all your help!
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    Save some bucks and get the Linksys WRT54G. Awesome router with lots of possibilities when it comes to Firmwares. get a corisponding wifi card from Linksys. If you buy both at radioshack they have some double rebates going on when you buy two wireless networking products.

That aside here is what i would do

Internet------ISP-------YourModem-----WRT54G-----PM G5
    -))))Sony Vaio

Since the G5 is wired you can use it to configure the router's settings. Make sure you enable WPA (if your laptop supports it). I also enable MAC addy filtering and set the max # of DHCP IP's to 3 more than i have computers (for breathing room). Good luck!
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Since both are desktops (well, not portables), you could also get a wired router for about $50 (or less), assuming both computers are in the same room and near the cable modem. Even easier to configure--just plug both machines into the router, the router into the cable modem, and the cable modem into the cable in the wall (cat 5 cable all around). Your computers are probably already set to automatically get an address, so you're essentially done.