New G5 iMac & Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Johnkb, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Johnkb macrumors newbie

Sorry for my ignorance, but how would this computer handle to fairly intense video editing using Fianl Cut or Final Cut Express?
    This is my main concern since I plan on doing quite a bit of editing.
    Thanks

2. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

TranceClubMusic

FCP needs Dual Processors. Stick with FCE

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

FCP doesn't require/need dual processors, it just renders faster and has more realtime effects without rendering.

You can run FCP on an iMac, but your workflow won't be as good as if you were working on a PowerMac.

D

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

... um no it doesnt..but i do agree... unless you need the extra features of fcp then fce is v good...

its very good on my pb 1.5 15inch.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say it's going to be a little slower than a single 1.6 GHz Tower, due to the bus. And the video card performance wouldn't be as good as the P'Books Radeon 9700. But if you get a 1.8, load it full of memory, and get an external 7200 RPM scratch drive, you should be happy with the performance of FCE. However HD-type stuff in FCP might lag a little vs. a Tower, so be prepared.

Editing should be ok, but hardcore effects might not be very fast. It will handle it though, just a little slower. You might want to go to an Apple Store and do a test yourself before you purchase one.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

What sort of editing are you doing, Program / short film / promos / pop videos / lots of effect work?

If you are doing longform work you need more disk space. If you are using alot effects you need more mhz. You should run your media from a external drive. If you are only working in DV only I would go for FCE.

I run FCP4 on a g4 733 no problem, rendering is slow, but I don't do effects work on it. I run a 80 GB FW as my media drive and a 250GB FW back up drive for the entire system.

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The iMac G5 will handle fairly intense video editing in FCE and FCP just fine.

FCP rendering is CPU intensive, not GPU intensive. This will change with Tiger, but presently in Panther, whether you have an FX 5200 Ultra or a Radeon 9600/9700/9800 doesn't make a difference in rendering. (source: http://barefeats.com/fcp4.html) The GPU may make a difference in realtime previews, however, but I haven't read anything definitive about that.

Two processors will give you a 45% performance advantage over a single processor, so if you already have a monitor you might want to consider a Power Mac G5.

I printed 5 hours of video the other day. All of it had a CG overlay at 60% opacity, and it was letterboxed (16:9 source in a 4:3 frame). I didn't have to render any of it at all. Earlier versions of FCP would have given me red bars (must render), but everything remained light gray (no render needed).

This was on a 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook, which has the nVidia FX 5200, with the source media on an external HD, printing to VHS via FireWire (digital to analog pass-through to the VCR).

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I concur, I also have a PB 1.5, and it runs very nicely. Even real time effects works great.

9. h'biki macrumors regular

Define "fairly intense" ?

I've used FCP4 on a TiBook 1ghz, a Dual G4 1.4ghz, a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz and, just recently, a dual G5 2.5.

The latter machine is very fast and it speeds up my workflow - I get more real time effects and it renders much faster... However, because I began using FCP1 on G3s, my workflow has been designed to work AROUND rendering. You learn ways of being smart - and you have to be. I still have colour correction sessions which take 5-7 hours to render on the G5.

Learn to use your sequence settings tabs- resolution, frame rate, motion blur, filters, etc. etc. to optimise your workflow while cutting. When you've reached an editing milestone, then turn everything back to 100% and render out.

So to cut a long story short, a G5 iMac would be great. Better than most editors have had in the history of editing.