NEW G5 noise: still an issue?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bootboy, Jun 11, 2004.

1. bootboy macrumors newbie

Will noise still be an issue for the new G5's? (Not just the liquid cooled ones either) I've waited long and hard for these updated Macs and I dont want a hairdryer, airconditioner, jet aircraft or howling cat (a certain iMac used). I understand Apple have the noise issue under control.

2. the future macrumors 6502a

I am also very interested to know. It may be a good idea to bump up this thread (or start a new one) in a week or two when the first users will get their new machines.

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

when I use my G5 for simple things, I don't feel like its noisy, only when doing big Photoshop things and it needs to start thinking I heard the fans rev up... so far it has been my most quiet Mac or even computer in general ever...
    as long as there is need for fans, it will make some noise, and the rattelling of the hard drive is louder than the fans-> so high capacity fast read/writing solid state disks is what they need to invent now than you only will hear some fan-noise ;-)

4. Wash!! macrumors 6502

I don't get it

I used to have a G4 400 and never realized how much noise it made until I replace it with my G5 1.8, the difference is astounding. Even when the fans kick in still not loud enough to hear them... Got to give Apple engineers for designing such a great computer... :D

5. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I 2nd you, Wash

This is unbelievable. I got the Rev. A dual 2 Ghz G5 and it's by far more silent than my old Quicksilver G4 733 Mhz. I just can't see your point in complaining about a machine that might sound like a hairdryer when it's actually the most silent tower based desktop computer Apple has made for the last years. Have you even tried using one? If you decide to get one, I'm sure that you won't be dissapointed!