New G5 Processors going to be named G5i

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, I know this isn't offical, but they are currently developing new G5 processors (well duh they have the 2.5 out and that, but thats upgraded not new). Well, the next batch of G5 processors are supposed to be called G5i . It will have pleanty of new features including - more pipelines, more L-cache, and a higher fsb and many many more thing.
    Since I have no proof of this probably no one will believe it so yeah. Post your comments or suggestiong.

2. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I dont belive you! Where is your proof!?

/sarcasm

No seriously...

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, regardless of weather or not you believe this, I sometimes have like these like knowledge experiences I guess you'd call them where I just know things and its strange cause they do happen, but I dunno, this just feels right and seems right.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

put...down...the...crack...pipe...

knowledge experiences??

what else can you predict?

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, I knew when quite a few things were going to happened and BOOM they did. I know no one believes me, but I just know its going to come out.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, I'm the one who believed you, but I didn't know you were getting this through ESP or some psychic "prediction" from your imagination.
    :confused:

One time when I was 10-11, I thought to myself, "They should make a restaurant where you bake your own pizza." A few years later, I watch Kramer suggest it on Seinfeld. :eek:

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Haha, I love threads like this. Crazy crazy people.

iJon

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah, but according to Murphy, success comes in private, and failure in full view. So it's probably not going to happen now, is it?! :D

11. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OMG you have no idea how many times that's happened to me. Like right now I have this idea, PC Game makers should make it to where you boot the game from the CD before the OS loads. 3 good things, then some bad. 1. faster gameplay, no background processes, 2. more memory available, 3. more video ram available. (partly true for #3). Well I thought of a very good idea, now the person who made it is making thousands of dollars. Its a product sold on the shelfs and that. Like the thing where the laptops don't boot up, but you can watch a dvd or play a cd. I thought of that (3 days before it was released) and you know the Tablet PC's I thought of that way before they did. *sighs* wish I should have slapped on a patent and called it my own.

12. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

And, one time, like Apple came out with this like processor and it was like a G5 or something. It was like cool.

I guess the like G5i would be named like Sun's UltraSparc processors then. Like, that would be cool.

13. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

It's direct from the mouth of the small invisible man sitting on his shoulder. Surely - you can see him too? Right? Or is that just me?

/dusts little invisible man off shoulder ;)

14. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Hmm, ive been giving this some though and I find the poster 100% credible! In fact I am convinced of it.. This comes in part to an epiphany i just had!

I belive the next Generation of Macintosh processors will be called .. get ready.. "G6" !!!

15. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

but the G6 has to have like a whole brandnew architecture basically. A G5i is just a beefed up version of the G5. See the diff.

16. noel4r macrumors 6502a

yeah, i like see the diff. and i like have to say it, i kinda like it.

17. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

18. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

WTFwould the "i" stand for any ways... hmm.. wtf does the G stand for anyways...

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

G stands for generation. I would actually expect the next G5 to be called G5e, because we've already had 603e and 604e.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Stepping on edesign's turf here I know he could do it better.

[​IMG]

jon

21. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

i is like for integration or something like that, I dunno. All I remember is G5i

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's actually gonna be the iG5. a g5 with fruit-flavored heatsinks. i heard it from the guy on the corner where i buy candy...<darts eyes>

23. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Yep... because adding another pipeline isn't like, an architecture change or anything. If you add another pipeline to the G5, you literally have an entirely new chip, not an updated G5. You would need better branch detection, better handling of the cache, etc. You can't just slap them on...

Of course, the G5 will have more "L-cache", all chips get their L2/L3 cache upgraded over time.

The FSB has nothing to do with the G5, it's a completely different chip.

Apple are much more likely to call it a G5+ or even just leave it at G5. The G6 will be upon us soon anyway, no need to change the G5 between now and then.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, not new. Just a minor detail of it being on a smaller process and all...

Really, it's nothing special! :rolleyes:

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you think you're psychic, click here.

If you're just trying to mess with us, WASTELAND!

If you have some insider info... well, I still don't believe you.

Edit: Why don't I believe you - More pipeline is bad, not good. L stands for Level. As in Level 1, 2. The G5 has 512k L2. It doesn't have L3 because it doesn't need it, thanks to the higher FSB. As for the higher bus... well, duh! The FSB is usually half, but it can be lower for heat issues, like with the iMac. If a new 3GHz G5 came out, I have a feeling it would be a 1.5 FSB. They wouldn't go backwards to a 1GHz FSB, and a 1.25 wouldn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.