Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
hehe Opteron, i say measly because the 800fsb puts the 533fsb to shame. The difference between 133fsb x 4 and 200fsb x 4 is huge.

Kind of the same way the 400fsb bartons put the original (hotter running) 266fsb Palominos to shame.

I guess its more of a matter of perspective than anything else. Considering I upgraded from a 200fsb Thunderbird to my current setup (388fsb, 800mhz compared to 2.231ghz); i'd say perspective can make a lot of difference in these comparisons.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
Originally posted by Mav451
i'd say perspective can make a lot of difference in these comparisons.

Others have used the perspective argument.

Most notabley Ben Kenobi (Obi Wan Kenobi)

But the real issuse is that the G4 is stuck @ 167MHz, while the pro model (G5) is at 1000Mhz. And apple "seems" to have to much pride (or one hell of a carppy a contract with Moto) to update the rest of the line.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by aswitcher
Well Tuesday 8 am PST and still the pepsi add dominates the Apple Store... oh well not looking promising... maybe next week...:rolleyes:

I really thought that they make more out of it. I tought it is much better to have a great new consumer product on the main page when all the people looking for iTunes are coming to the store. Just my two marketing cents

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well let me say this. You remember how AMD seemed to have its back against the wall right when the 2.53Ghz P4 B (533fsb) was released?

AMD didn't really answer until a few months later with the 2400+/2600+. Both of these were part of the transistion from 266 fsb to 333fsb. The 2600+ however was the one that offered both 266/333fsb models, the 333fsb model running slightly slower in terms of raw clock speed, but performance 3-6% higher nonetheless.

Then when the 2.8ghz Pentium 4 (533fsb still) came out, AMD again had to resort to its paper launched 2800+, which actually was competitive in a several applications (more notably games of course). 333fsb held well against 533 fsb. Later on though, the 800fsb vs. 400fsb argument was a moot one, the P4C processor just performed alot better--this is the reason the 3200+ is only competitive with the 3.0 Pentium 4 C model, and not even close to the 3.2 P4C (fortunately pricing was between the 3.0 and 3.2 P4C).

It wasn't until the Athlon 64 that a true "3200+" processor was released.

*by the way, what did Obi Wan say about perspective? I'm really interested.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
After soume searching through the scripts of "THe Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" I foud what I was looking for.

BEN
You father was seduced by the dark side of
the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker
and became Darth Vader. When that happened,
the good man who was your father was
destroyed. So what I have told you was
true... from a certain point of view.

LUKE (turning away, derisive)
A certain point of view!

BEN
Luke, you're going to find that many of the
truths we cling to depend greatly on our own
point of view.

While he uses 'point of veiw' I dare say perspective could easily be substiuted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.