New G5 twin 2.3 GHz - DOA

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cambo, Jun 16, 2005.

1. cambo macrumors newbie

I received my new Apple G5 2.3GHz twin desktop recently.

Sadly, after a few days it died. My Apple reseller has taken it back as a "DOA (dead on arrival)" for Apple replacement (three weeks ago - I'm still waiting Apple).

She mentioned that she had delivered 2.3GHz G5's to three other customers and that all three have been DOA.

Is there some manufacturing problem with the new 2.3GHz G5 desktops - or is she just unlucky?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I'd say its just bad luck im sure the replacement will be good..

ShadOW :)

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

A big bug in Apple's pro line? I would doubt it. Usually the major quality issues occur on lower end models (but the eMacs lately have been good, you'd be surprised). I hope your next one works like a charm.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

We just got a new one for our office Monday. No problems so far.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

6. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

iMac Rev B DOA

I bought my iMac Rev B 20" on the 28th May and the Superdrive completely died on me. Took it back to the shop and it worked fine, brought it home and it died. Temperamental bugger :mad:

Anyway, took it back the second time and they admitted that there is a problem with it and replaced and new one the very same day.

This is my second iMac and it is working fine. Not glitches whatsoever but I'm definitely getting Applecare for it. It's a MatsuSHITa drive in it not a Pioneer drive.

7. cambo thread starter macrumors newbie

Replacement 2 x 2.3 G5 - also dead

Finally received the replacement for my original "dead on arrival" G5 twin and it failed to even boot. I managed to restart on the install disk but it died again when I went to verify the drive. So this one is also dead on arrival.

So, tomorrow it has been a month since I handed over several thousand dollars and I guess I'm looking at another three weeks to get another replacement. And my recent experience is telling me that I'll be lucky indeed if that replacement works.

I'm getting the feeling that there is a major problem with Apple manufacturing.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it just the 2.3 GHz - maybe I can change my order to some other configuration?

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the 2.3GHz DP PowerMac G5. I received mine about 2 weeks ago and have had zero problems. Just sounds like some awfull bad luck.

I would like to know what the shipping company is doing to your Mac when it is in transit.

9. applejack macrumors newbie

I've had mine for a week, no problems so far.

Is there anything over on the Apple boards about this?

10. cambo thread starter macrumors newbie

Or Should I wait for a MacTel?

The shipping company was Apple's and they haven't done anything to my computer they didn't do to all the other Macs on the same pallet.

Kernel Panic = motherboard problems, not shipping problems.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course kernal panics at home, and a not a hint of problems when sent in for service, generally point to noisy/bad power at home.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Waiting for the intel powered Macs to appear will take over a year and then you will have a rev a machine that should have more bugs than the current line of PowerMac G5s. Hopefully, you will have better luck with your third PowerMac (should you opt to try it again). You know what they say, "the third time is the charm." Sorry to hear about your problems, not normal for Apple products.

PS- I did not see the kernel problem as the cause of death (its too early in the morning, I am still half asleep ;) sorry for the mix up.