New Game - X Plane

Discussion in 'Games' started by latergator116, Mar 29, 2004.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Hmmm..... does anyone know if this game is Mac OS X native?

Edit: duh, it says it on apple's website.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's OS X native and it works on Windows also... one of those cross platform doohickies... the version I bought from x-plane.com worked under both platforms.

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I am planning on buying x-plane this summer. I also want a joystick/throttle combo unit. I used to love FS, but the x-plane demo is pretty convincing. That F-22 is definately calling my name.

6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Bought it - play it - love it!

I've also got the 6Gb of extra worldwide scenery...

81 000 + airports, and proper landscapes - all with correct elevations and coastlines thanks to NASA....

And if you need some extra links for free aircraft and/or scenery, then look no further than:

www.x-plane.org (catalogue of ALL aircraft/scenery files)

and

www.xplanefreeware.net ( <-- for this site, you'll have to register - it's free & worth it!)

You should get Goodway and WeatherMe as well - freeware downloads that allow you to create/import flight plans, and give you REAL TIME weather direct from the MET offices!

Squawkbox is another interesting angle - proper air traffic control chatter for X-Plane over the 'net.

The planes look AMAZING, and the flights are hard. Try - if you dare - a carrier landing, or an air-to-air refuelling, or even an X-15 drop from the underside of a B-52H!!

The BIGGEST buzz, however, is trying to land the Space Shuttle Orbiter from 400,000 feet, going 17,000 miles per hour, and 5,300 miles downrange from Edwards....

Wicked!

ACTUAL IN-GAME GRAPHIC:

Attached Files:

7. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I'm loving this game as well!

Me and Tiauguinho have been playing a lot on the IVAO and the VATSIM networks which allows you to fly with hundreds of real pilots and hundreds of real Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) in a virtual world. Just search for XSquawkbox on google, download the plugin, install in 7.30, register at either vatsim.net or ivao.org, and connect! VATSIM even got support for audio communication, and that's the main reason I switched from IVAO. It's completely awesome, and it uses realtime weather all over the world, and updates automatically.

I'm looking forward to version 7.40 of X-plane though. The current version, 7.30, got some stupid bugs which are very annoying when flying connected to a network. The new version will bring much better athmospheric visuals as well, and a completely new cockpit design with even more instruments and buttons! A new beta of 7.40 will be out in a matter of days now. :)

Anyway, thumbs up for X-plane!

8. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Wow, Kiwi ans Zenith, this makes me want to buy the game even more! That graphic is really nice... I thought it was a real plae at first!

9. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Get the game, its worth every single cent! :)

be sure to bookmark this webpages:

X-Plane Freeware Project The Perfect place to find extremely good planes and good scenery.

Goodway Get this Flight Planner. Its awsome and a must if you are gonna fly in VATSIM, cause it will enable you to build your Flight plans, real time trace of where you are and lots of other goodies! Its a must!

Vatsim Global Network The perfect place for "As Real as it gets" flights. Hundreds of Pilots and ATC's! And you can use your iSight as a microphone, just put the radio on your X-plane cockpit with the correct frequency and you are set!

Attached Files:

10. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

What hardware are you using and what FPS are you getting? I am trying to figure out if X Plane is playable on a 933MHz G4 iBook?

Also, how would you compare it to FS2K4 (I currently have that on a 2.0GHz P4 with a RADEON 9000 Pro)?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I can't compare it to FS really, as the last time I played it, it was FS98 on an Acer running Win95 :p However, it's just out of playable range for a 333MHz iMac, so I figure you should be fine. Can't give you FPS rates though.

12. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I bought this for my ol' iBook, forgot to try it on a Tosh 2430 laptop (2.4ghz) before I gave the machine to my brother, and 'cause of this thread, fished out the package and...

Now I need a good joystick.

13. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I played X-Plane a lot on my old G4 733 Mhz, and it was very playable. Couldn't set the graphics to max, nor have too many rendering options enabled, but that was mostly related to the poor GeForce 2 MX. With proper settings and 7-10 NM visibility I got around 20-30 fps.

Now I'm playing it on a dual G5 2 Ghz, and it's never been better! Visibility on max, extreme resolution, and I still get 30 fps. When using the same settings as on the G4 I get around 120 fps...

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm still trying to master the Helicopter flight.

Pain in the ass - I take off - I crash (obviously, something to do with the rudder trim - as it goes into a gyroscopic spin).

Basically, I don't have a collective/rudder/cyclic setup, so it's virtually impossible. Bugger it...

Time to go down to buy a decent joystick. I used to have a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold, with twisting handle for the rudder - but I gave it to a mate of mine. Now, I'm looking at the Logitek Cordless, the latest Saitek or the Microsoft version. Any ideas for a decent one? It DEFINITELY has to have a throttle, and a twist-handle...

So what do you guys use?

By the way - does anyone know what is the control for extending and retracting the refuelling probe on the fighter jets for in-air refuelling? Got me STUMPED!!!

:)

15. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Flying the helicopters isn't that difficult really. Try doing it with the keyboard/mouse. Use the default F5 and F6 for collective and F1, F2 for throttle.

I'm planning to get a CH joystick for X-plane some time. Starting to get tired of the mouse, and want something that makes the flying experience even more complete.

16. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I never played X-plane. But I absolutely love fs2004. The graphics are phenomenal. I hate to fly in real-life but I find virtual flight very relaxing.

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Still can't control the rudder in the Chopper - therefore, REALLY need a joystick, with rudder control!!!

Anyway - if you think the HELICOPTERS are hard, then try the Saturn V

It's a bitch.

;)

18. Urdam macrumors member

19. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im glad the system requirements aren't too high (there is only so much my 700mhz iBook can take). Some of these new games out today just require so much in terms processor and video card power. Not to mention it costs a bunch for top-of-the-line equipment. ;)

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just saw this at Apples site, if not mistaken this thing was selling for 70 or 80 us bucks. Apple shows it for $39.99 which is a great price. been wanting a great Flight simulator for a long time. Maybe Apple has really figured out that us Mac users do like games after a hard days work. The Mac can do so much and gaming is just another part of the digital hub.

21. Norfeus... macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs & X-Plane. I'm looking to get it and reading what you guys have written, it's worth having. Zenith, you mentioned getting a CH Joystick. Which type are you thinking of getting?

Cheers,

Norfeus...

22. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I'm not sure yet, but I've been interested in getting the Flightstick Pro. It's cheap and good. The yoke, not the LE version, is pretty good as well, but it costs a little more. Since I'm a lefty, I can't go for the fighterstick and such...

23. Lz0 macrumors regular

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would love it, if it didn't take up half of my ram. Man 256 mb is alot. Man I am dreaming of becoming a pilot and that would help me.