New Gateway system

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, there has been a lot of talk about the Gateway Profile 4 all over the web. I think the shock really is more that Gateway could even launch a campaign against Apple, much less have the guts to do it. Now that being said, I used to work for the cow, and was part of her "restructuring" so I have a first hand perspective on this.

The Profile 4 is just another all in one PC. The tests that they used were not tests in which there was any, and I mean any intensive CPU tests. They ran the tests against 10.1.4. How can we accept the validity of a test when the tester doesn't even know to update the Mac to the most current OS update, much less 10.2.

Why no number intensive tests? Why no DVD Burner? I would love to see Apple have an ad that says not so fast there Teddy boy.

Run Photoshop 7 tests, and DVD burning test. That would really drive the point home. Gateway had best beware. This is not the time to come after Apple. Yes, the profile 4 is cheaper, and does less, and looks far worse, runs windows, can't burn DVD's, doesn't have near the specs, has biased testing done to promote its status.

Man. When will PC companies learn?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

They will never learn, as long as their ignorance can make their machines look better they will continue to run outdated tests like these.
    Man some times I get so mad at PC compaines!!!!

Come on Apple launch a counter attack!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

speaking of all that's been said...

has anyone heard anything about that law suit against intel/dell/hp? the one about manipulating customers to believe that mhz was what made a computer better...i'm too lazy to look for the thread that we talked about it in right now.

4. spinner macrumors regular

The whole mhz thing is going to come back to haunt them and I am not talking about the lawsuit. Look at the Itanium, it tops out at 800mhz last I read. Unless next gen Intel chips exceed the P4 in mhz, consumers are going to think they are getting took. We know the truth but PC users still have the wool pulled over their eyes.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wasn't there talk about putting pcs in the Apple Store to show everyone what the comparisons were really like? Well, the Gateway Profile 4 should be the first one - and that would take care of that.....:D

6. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

So i was just reading the PDF propaganda our comrades over at gateway have posted.

I noticed several things that pissed me off

1. The Gateways got 512 Mb Ram each, and the macs got 256
    2. 10.1.5 and 10.1.4?? WTF? Why not 10.2?

I have to admit that i dont like gateways, but is it just me, or is this gateway trying to recover from the highly sucessful "Switch" campaign? Hey Gateway and Ted next time you try to take on Apple....make it fair, make the machines with the same configs as you have on those Pc's..

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

So everyone knows. The reason the iMac did so poorly in the Quake test is because they tested it in Classic. The system comes with OSX as the booting system and they do not officially make Quake for OSX so they started it up it brought up Classic and they ran there tests there.

Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com today 08/27/02.

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

***Important Note*****

Thay didn't say how many times Windows got an error report for each test!!!

ie:"This application has to close now, Do you want to send a message to Microsoft?""';) :p :cool:

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

***Important Note*****

Thay didn't say how many times Windows got an error report for each test!!!

ie:"This application has to close now, Do you want to send a message to Microsoft?""';) :p :cool:

The people who have use Windows XP, know what I am talking about!!

10. vniow macrumors G4

Gawd, I hate that. It hasn't come up on me in the pest couple weeks though. Not like I'd send it anywayz.:D

BTW, there is an edit button somewhere.....
    :p

11. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

It's still ugly...

IMac look 1,000,000,000,000,000% better.

You know a PC company's getting desperate when....

12. MacMaster macrumors 6502

I'm going to make a movie out of this(ad rather)...pro-imac of course!:rolleyes: It will show all of the things that the imac can do, the profile 4 will sit there shaking it's "screen" after each question, and then at the end the imac will stick its "tongue"(the DVD drive) out at the profile 4!:p

I think the first version will just be clips from different apple/gateway commercials...Then(much later):rolleyes: possibly I'll try to do some work with Maya or something...:rolleyes:

13. vniow macrumors G4

Ooh, make it a switch ad, then submit in in the contest. I'd love to see it.:D

14. MacMaster macrumors 6502

I'm going to start it tomorrow!:)

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

apple's counter attack are their great machines they consistenly put out year after year

even during the dark days of apple before the g3, as some would call it, macs still trounced pcs