Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Hmm, maybe they should fix the glitches in Leopard before putting out any more of these.

Tim117

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
Working at Apple, I don't know one customer who wants to go back to Tiger. Keep in mind, people don't go online to post compliments, they typically make complaints. That fact alone isn't representative of the overall reaction to any particular product (in this case Leopard). Most of the customers (actually, in my case all of my customers) LOVE Leopard over Tiger, especially the PPC users who have noticed a double in speed increase.

Leopard installed fine on my Mac Pro. No complaints here. Vista on my slave drive, well, that's another story.

You work at Apple? Shouldn't you be no where near these forums?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Working at Apple... Most of the customers (actually, in my case all of my customers) LOVE Leopard over Tiger, especially the PPC users who have noticed a double in speed increase.

I'm a PPC (G4) user and I would love some of that double speed. :rolleyes:

I'm a PPC (G5) user and I would love some of that double speed too.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Totally

Hmm, maybe they should fix the glitches in Leopard before putting out any more of these.

me too im getting quite pissed off with apple, I've just bought a new macbook pro and installed leopar and now apperture won't work - supposedly one of their 'pro' apps well its not good enough i'm a photographer and i need it to work! the update did nothing!

instead of ripping it out of vista get of ur backsides and sort out leopards issues!

otherwise I'll go back to lightroom.

I hate to say it but i think the whole thign with the iphone is making them a bit too big headed, the iphone isn't perfect, nor is leopard! I do love apple tho

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Oh Apple, Why go back to these ads! Make an advert showing people what you can actually do with Leopard like the iPhone ads. Not just stating how much you are better. Prove it!!!

Gees, I get so tired of hearing people say this, so pardon me for the all-caps, but...

APPLE ALREADY TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.

Remember the ads with the guy on the airplane? There were others like that too and many, many more before where Apple tried to show why the Mac was better and there isn't a shred of evidence that such an approach ever made a dent in the Mac market share. In fact, those ads appear to have produced the opposite effect.

On the other hand, Mac sales have been steadily going up over the last couple years and the more they attack Windows and PCs, the better they seem to do. How can you claim the PC-and-Mac or the switcher ads were not the way to go when they are showing results?

Ads have to play down to the lowest common denominator. They have to be written for monkeys, couch surfers, the short-attention span MTV generation. They have to entertain, catch your interest and get people talking. Like it or not, these current ads do that. 30 seconds of showing how awesome stacks or Quick View is... well, I kinda doubt that's going to get the sort of reaction Apple's marketing people want.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
me too im getting quite pissed off with apple, I've just bought a new macbook pro and installed leopar and now apperture won't work - supposedly one of their 'pro' apps well its not good enough i'm a photographer and i need it to work! the update did nothing!

No offense, but every "pro" I know would never dream of updating their work computer before the .1 update came out. I put Leopard on my laptop, but my work-computer never gets anything installed this quickly.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Gees, I get so tired of hearing people say this, so pardon me for the all-caps, but...

APPLE ALREADY TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.

Remember the ads with the guy on the airplane? There were others like that too and many, many more before where Apple tried to show why the Mac was better and there isn't a shred of evidence that such an approach ever made a dent in the Mac market share. In fact, those ads appear to have produced the opposite effect.

On the other hand, Mac sales have been steadily going up over the last couple years and the more they attack Windows and PCs, the better they seem to do. How can you claim the PC-and-Mac or the switcher ads were not the way to go when they are showing results?

Ads have to play down to the lowest common denominator. They have to be written for monkeys, couch surfers, the short-attention span MTV generation. They have to entertain, catch your interest and get people talking. Like it or not, these current ads do that. 30 seconds of showing how awesome stacks or Quick View is... well, I kinda doubt that's going to get the sort of reaction Apple's marketing people want.

There are a lot of people here who watch a bunch of commercials and then declare themselves marketing experts.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
The Windows bashing ads arent to my taste but if they work, whatever, its a business.

The BSOD icons for Windows machines however... that I really dont like. Yeah, a joke is a joke, but make it an easter egg not a default icon on a final piece of software. The fact that the joke is as old as the internet and I havent seen a BSOD for a long time aside, its unprofessional.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
There are a lot of people here who watch a bunch of commercials and then declare themselves marketing experts.

I get that feeling. My line of work has brought me into contact frequently with marketing people and I know how they think. The response to the Mac-vs.-PC ads Apple is running is right on target. When people rush to their favorite forums to declare how outraged they are or how arrogant Apple is, they forget one little thing: they have been motivated by a 30-second ad spot to use some of their personal time to carry on about it, to make noise about it, get others thinking about the product and company. That's all the marketing people want you to do. To be sure, the primary goal isn't to make people angry, but if that's the only way to get some people talking about the product or company, then that's good enough. I can guarantee you that there's not a single marketing professional on the planet who wouldn't take that as a success.

.michael

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Yes

Have they actually shown it on TV yet though?

I've seen this commercial like a gazillion times.
Go to the apple website, then iPod+iTunes, and you'll see it somewhere around there.
I think this is the one your talking about...

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The Windows bashing ads arent to my taste but if they work, whatever, its a business.

The BSOD icons for Windows machines however... that I really dont like. Yeah, a joke is a joke, but make it an easter egg not a default icon on a final piece of software. The fact that the joke is as old as the internet and I havent seen a BSOD for a long time aside, its unprofessional.

FWIW, I've seen BSODs as recently as a month ago. XP still has a lot of issues when connecting devices. XP's stability is only as good as the drivers you have to load. That's sort of unfortunate.

I don't find the BSOD icon in OS X to be unprofessional, but I don't like it either because it's so far out of whack with Apple's aesthetic, which is simple, non-distracting and tasteful. To put the image of a crashed Windows PC in there is a little like showing text icons with dog pee stains on it or rips on the edges. It's just tacky. It's not Apple's style.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I guess this means microsoft can put the beach ball of death in windows 7 :D

I personally think that would be funny as hell. They need to loosen the tie up a little. Maybe take some stabs when and if they can. I would give them back a little respect. :D

Kevin

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
It has been a long time since the last one, sort of hoped they had stopped them.

I would prefer it if they would just advertise the good points about Leopard rather than bash Vista.

Hopefully this is the last in the series as they are getting a bit long in the tooth. Leopard is out and needs it's own line of commercials.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Hmm. Considering there are a good number of people who want to go back to Tiger... sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

Huh? Just for the improvements in the Finder alone, I don't think you're going to find a lot of Mac users looking backward. I don't know of any.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Amen!

Oh Apple, Why go back to these ads! Make an advert showing people what you can actually do with Leopard like the iPhone ads. Not just stating how much you are better. Prove it!!!

Amen! What they REALLY REALLY REALLY need to do (and it's pathetic that they haven't) is do just that and show off Leopard AND iLife '08... Now THAT would sell a LOT more Macs. They need to show the general public that Macs aren't just for designers, they are better for your simple, elegant digital life and all the things you want to do with a computer!

I like these ads and think they are funny, but I think it is time for them to end, and I seriously can't believe Apple hasn't shown off their OS and iLife in commercials before, it boggles my mind that they haven't :mad:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I guess this means microsoft can put the beach ball of death in windows 7 :D

They could although I think it's a little unseemly for the market leader to kick at the other, smaller competitors. Just makes them look like a bully. When Wendy's goes after McDonalds and Burger King with the "Where's the beef?" thing, that was just the little guy fighting for space. When Coke takes jabs at Pepsi, same thing. When Apple takes shots at MS, same thing.

However, if Apple were to start running ads taking shots at other mp3 players (where they are the market leader) I would be very disappointed. I think MS could run some anti-iPod ads however and it wouldn't look bad.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Except look at what the iPhone ads spurred: terrible iPod touch ads that are more like a seizure than informative.

I love the new iPod Touch ad that that kid did. It is cool and it shows what the product has and can really do. Now i do NOT like the new iPhone ads with the people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.