Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Anyway. . .

Ok, you need to make sure you are quoting the right thing.

A MacBook from the Apple store, fully configured with all the upgrades (topped out memory, biggest HD, etc.) tops out at $2172.

You quoted $3800. Wrong. You priced a MacBook PRO, which comes to $3823. Again, topped out with 3 gigs of memory, 200 gig HD.

So you fudged the truth to make your post look better.

And how about a link so we can see exactly what you priced on Tiger Direct?

Plus, what you end up with doesn't run Mac OS X.

Oh damn I put Macbook instead of Macbook Pro!!! Wow! Anyway. YOU forgot something yourself. TAX! My Macbook Pro, with Student discount comes to 3414. add Tax and its close to 3800. So yea. and Thats not maxing out the hard drive. You also failed to read my last sentence that I enjoy the best of both worlds! I am gonna dish out the money for a Mac but the thought of just getting a PC came to mind many times. You also failed to realize, I didn't mean a PC notebook. I ment a PC desktop. Cause if you compare the prices of the Mac Pro and a PC the Mac Pro is deff more expensive! So like I said, getting a Macbook PRO and getting a PC desktop, the desktop would be cheaper. Go to Tiger Direct, and build that stuff for yourself, I am too lazy to do it right now lol. All I know, is I need a computer that can run Pro Tools, but better then its running right now on my PC. Meaning 3.0 GHz Processor or a duo core. 3 GB of ram and a hard drive that runs at 7200 RPM. The Mac Book PRO does that but, I can build a PC with all the things I need for cheaper. But you are right that I don't get to run OS X. Anyway, like I said in my last post, I enjoy both systems. And for running Protools I want to do it on a Mac hence why I am getting the Macbook PRO. But I will still use my PC for gaming cause it's just that good.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
However, in actual reality, those requirements don't work. Go into a Best Buy and play with the Vista comptuers - I did. All of the computers I played with worked with Vista very well - until I went into the 500-800 (CAD) range desktops: they were all running Vista Home Basic (without the fancy graphics etc). So I would doubt your 2002 PC can run Vista with Aero enabled, unless you've upgraded your video card and RAM in the past couple of years - or unless your PC was a 5000 dollar machine when you bought it.

I agree on this, it probable will work on a low end PC but you have to use the stripped down version and not be able to use any the great features they are claiming it has, like editing videos. You have to upgrade to get all those feature otherwise stay with what you have it will probably work better.

bayportbob

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
somewhere under the rainbow.
However, in actual reality, those requirements don't work. Go into a Best Buy and play with the Vista comptuers - I did. All of the computers I played with worked with Vista very well - until I went into the 500-800 (CAD) range desktops: they were all running Vista Home Basic (without the fancy graphics etc). So I would doubt your 2002 PC can run Vista with Aero enabled, unless you've upgraded your video card and RAM in the past couple of years - or unless your PC was a 5000 dollar machine when you bought it.

at work we have decent "Dell" desktops that ran XP well, these desktops cannot handle business Vista without upgrade to graphics and are sluggish as heck because they do not have a gig of ram in them. :eek:

bayportbob

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
somewhere under the rainbow.
Oh damn I put Macbook instead of Macbook Pro!!! Wow! Anyway. YOU forgot something yourself. TAX! My Macbook Pro, with Student discount comes to 3414. add Tax and its close to 3800. So yea. and Thats not maxing out the hard drive. You also failed to read my last sentence that I enjoy the best of both worlds! I am gonna dish out the money for a Mac but the thought of just getting a PC came to mind many times. You also failed to realize, I didn't mean a PC notebook. I ment a PC desktop. Cause if you compare the prices of the Mac Pro and a PC the Mac Pro is deff more expensive! So like I said, getting a Macbook PRO and getting a PC desktop, the desktop would be cheaper. Go to Tiger Direct, and build that stuff for yourself, I am too lazy to do it right now lol. All I know, is I need a computer that can run Pro Tools, but better then its running right now on my PC. Meaning 3.0 GHz Processor or a duo core. 3 GB of ram and a hard drive that runs at 7200 RPM. The Mac Book PRO does that but, I can build a PC with all the things I need for cheaper. But you are right that I don't get to run OS X. Anyway, like I said in my last post, I enjoy both systems. And for running Protools I want to do it on a Mac hence why I am getting the Macbook PRO. But I will still use my PC for gaming cause it's just that good.

you pay like 10% tax in NJ???!!!! :eek:

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
you pay like 10% tax in NJ???!!!! :eek:

SERIOUSLY!!! It sucks! It didn't even make sense cause it was supposed to be 7% I even looked at it funny when I saw it. I was like wow lol I've been saving up and I am at 3300, so I went to check out how much more I needed and I was like sweet another 100 or 200 and I am set and tax just ruined me lol I am waiting for the new Macbook Pros to come out anyway. But still, Tax is horrible.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
SERIOUSLY!!! It sucks! It didn't even make sense cause it was supposed to be 7% I even looked at it funny when I saw it. I was like wow lol I've been saving up and I am at 3300, so I went to check out how much more I needed and I was like sweet another 100 or 200 and I am set and tax just ruined me lol I am waiting for the new Macbook Pros to come out anyway. But still, Tax is horrible.

Only 10%?? :eek:
In Ontario, Canada, it's 14%...

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Hahahahahaha its so true. :p you can turn that off... but i hardly see how vista is suppose to be saving companies money if they have to spend half their day clicking on the pop ups

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
favorite ad so far!

"You are coming to a sad realization...cancel or allow?"

I liked "let me go lie down and depreciate" too. :D.

-=|Mgkwho

nutts

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
...Even in XP .. it's always giving you this useless information. When you plug in a peripheral, it's like "You just plugged in a device. You just plugged in a mouse. You just plugged in the Microsoft 2-button Standard Mouse. Your new device is installed and ready to use".
On the mac, it assumes that since you were the one who plugged it in, you should expect it to work, whereas the windows machines assume that you think it won't work and assures you that it is working.

Those little balloons are so annoying.

YES!!!!!
I run XP in Parallels on my MBP and every time I boot it up (which is super-quick at less than 15 seconds!) it tells me with one of those bubbles that I have no anti-virus installed. EVERY TIME! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Stupid stupid.
Back on topic, I love that new ad; the only one I truly found funny. I sent it to a mate of mine who runs Vista and he replied with:
"Obviously the first thing I did was switch off UAC (which is what the ad is taking the piss out of)."

So, yes, that's why Microsoft spent so long and so much money on creating UAC; so everybody can switch it off. They have no idea *sigh*

UKFletch

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Coventry UK
EDITED FOR SPACE...
I just watched the ad, I did find it really funny, but I find the point of Apple making the ad to be really stupid. In the end it says something along the lines of why get Vista and have to upgrade your PC when you can just get an Apple.

1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone. The Macbook I want would be 3800 dollars. I could just build a new PC off Tiger Direct with better cards, processor, video card and everything for half the price of the Macbook.

2. It makes everyone think Vista is so great that you have to upgrade your computer for it to even handle it!.

In reality Vistas requirements are as follows

Specs follow....

I have a PC from 2002 and it meets all these requirements.

3. I actually rather know whats going on and have those pop ups being that I like knowing hey, my OS just blocked a lot of stuff from coming in, how do I know? It told me! And if it gets annoying, you don't have to turn it off, all you have to do is tell it to remember what things you do. Say you go on a site a lot, instead of always asking if want certain parts of the site to come thru all you have to do is tell it to remember the site!

I don't know, I like Macs a lot, but I have no beef with PCs, when I want to get my gaming done I rather be on a PC. But that's just me. It just seems to me that too many people are one sided on the issue. I like both.

Oh No, please do not fall into this trap. As I have stated elsewhere, I have been trialling Vista for about 6 months, running a full build for a month or so... PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND RUN IT ON THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE LISTED!!!

It NEEDS a lot more than that. Go for a Intel C2D/AMD X2 and a GOOD 256MB+ Graphics card and you MAY get some decent performance from it.

It wants power and lots of it, thats if you want it to look like it does on the adverts, and play decent games. You want to play DX10 Games? Then check out how much a Nvidia 8800 card is going to set you back, and then add another 1GB of memory and make sure your PC's power supply is up to the job as well.

Most of the "Vista Ready" PC's that are out there will JUST about run it, but forget about decent performance.

Mac's aren't cheap - granted. But a decent spec Vista gaming rig isn't cheap either.

Fletch

rpchan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
The best part is that Gate does not get it, he does not realize he is losing markest share because people are tired of a bad experience.

Then he tries to say that apple never invented anything, that my be true but I do not think they ever said they invent anything but innovated a better way.

Then he said he would challenge any hacker to get past Vista, I can see it now someone creates a hack the causes those warnings to coming up every second forcing someone to turn it all off.....

edison did not invent the lightblub. heck edison didn't invent most of his inventions his workers did. most of "his" inventions were just inefficient and better stuff has come along.

edison = microsoft
tesla = apple

dogfolife69

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
wow...

after watching this ad, i was rolling on the floor... Gates thinks he can just bash on Apple :apple: and get away with it... "if you live in a glass house, you should not throw the first stone" comes to mind :D

shelterpaw

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
YES!!!!!
I run XP in Parallels on my MBP and every time I boot it up (which is super-quick at less than 15 seconds!) it tells me with one of those bubbles that I have no anti-virus installed. EVERY TIME! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!
I run XP Pro in Parallels as well, but I turned off all the warnings. So I have no pop-ups. It certainly runs well in Parallels, but it's not OS X. :D

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Lol I made this image for my site.

Attachments

• cancel.png
    cancel.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 101

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Yea that might be awesome.

Being that I use windows for gaming cause OS X doesn't run all the games I play, has anyone used parallels to run Windows on a Mac and played games on it? Is it good? I am gonna get the new Macbook Pro and I as just wondering.

Like I've stated before I like OS X and Windows. . . :rolleyes:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Heads Up

You will note on the new get a Mac page Vista is mentioned repeatedly.

"You can easily run Vista or Windows XP applications"

Now it does specifically mention Parallels and VMware, but I wonder if this is also a hint of an app under Leopard which runs those apps entirely free of Windows itself? It is not explicit :(

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

"2. You can even run Windows.
Mac gives you choices. With the latest software options, an Intel-powered Mac can easily run Vista or Windows XP applications. Not that you’ll want to... More"

"3. Everything-ready.
Mac is the only computer in the world that can run all the major operating systems, including Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Vista. With Software like Parallels or VMware you can even run them side by side. More"

Rocketman

rpchan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
i run tiger on my completely non-upgradable iMac DV with only 512RAM and it runs great.

try running vista on a equivalent PC. try it, i dare you. really i do. really. i do.

p.s. I run Adobe CS2 programs on my iMac . Not as fast as my MacBook (alot of that has to do with RAM), but good enough to have run it work better than the newer PC i am forced to use at work.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Cause if you compare the prices of the Mac Pro and a PC the Mac Pro is deff more expensive! So like I said, getting a Macbook PRO and getting a PC desktop, the desktop would be cheaper. Go to Tiger Direct, and build that stuff for yourself, I am too lazy to do it right now lol. All I know, is I need a computer that can run Pro Tools, but better then its running right now on my PC. Meaning 3.0 GHz Processor or a duo core. 3 GB of ram and a hard drive that runs at 7200 RPM. The Mac Book PRO does that but, I can build a PC with all the things I need for cheaper.

Obviously desktop machines with matching components are cheaper then laptops, you pay for the compact, portable, laptop, duh. Find a cheaper comparable laptop, then rant.

Or better yet, actually compare the cheapest Mac Pro you can build to a desktop PC. You don't have to order memory, HD's, GFX cards, or even the cpu chip, the Mac Pros are socketted. The difference you will find is far smaller then what you claim.

Then you always have the argument of software. And in the end, what is included and not needed in Mac OS X, you will find a clear winner. Now to through that wrench into your cogs, the Mac Pro can run Vista. In fact, I remember MS demoing Vista last year on a Mac.

Why have several machines, when you can run multiple OSes on a well built, upgradable box from Apple?

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Upgradeable?

Obviously desktop machines with matching components are cheaper then laptops, you pay for the compact, portable, laptop, duh. Find a cheaper comparable laptop, then rant.

Or better yet, actually compare the cheapest Mac Pro you can build to a desktop PC. You don't have to order memory, HD's, GFX cards, or even the cpu chip, the Mac Pros are socketted. The difference you will find is far smaller then what you claim.

Then you always have the argument of software. And in the end, what is included and not needed in Mac OS X, you will find a clear winner. Now to through that wrench into your cogs, the Mac Pro can run Vista. In fact, I remember MS demoing Vista last year on a Mac.

Why have several machines, when you can run multiple OSes on a well built, upgradable box from Apple?

What do you mean exactly when you say "Upgradeable" like software wise or hardware?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You will note on the new get a Mac page Vista is mentioned repeatedly.

"You can easily run Vista or Windows XP applications"

Now it does specifically mention Parallels and VMware, but I wonder if this is also a hint of an app under Leopard which runs those apps entirely free of Windows itself? It is not explicit :(

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

"2. You can even run Windows.
Mac gives you choices. With the latest software options, an Intel-powered Mac can easily run Vista or Windows XP applications. Not that you’ll want to... More"

"3. Everything-ready.
Mac is the only computer in the world that can run all the major operating systems, including Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Vista. With Software like Parallels or VMware you can even run them side by side. More"

Rocketman

Leopard will come with BootCamp. I doubt they'll do anything any faster than the CrossOver folks to get anything else going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.