New graphic card in iMac soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by StylePower, Nov 27, 2004.

1. StylePower macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a iMac G5 when they comes with a better graphic card, and I don't want to wait so much more.

Someone who knows or have thoughts about when it will come, and eventually other iMac upgrades coming up? :rolleyes:

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What do you need a better graphics card for? The iMac is not a gaming or pro-media machine. If you want to do those things, you should really get a Powermac

3. StylePower thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know. But still i think 64mb can be a bit small. When you can get 128mb on a 15" PB, why can't you get a 128mb card in a 20" iMac? I don't know... but I'll buy an iMac soon.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This also isn't a PC, where they're able to roll in new product the minute it's available.

However you should look here...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Maybe speed bumps around 6 months, may get a new feature every 12-18 months.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm not so much concerned about a better graphics card.
    I'd rather have a video in so that i can use the imac as a monitor. in my case it's good to practice presentations.

i also guess a lot of switchers concerned about the lack of games for the mac could keep their wintel machines for gaming and connect them to the imac.

i also don't understand why the imac is limited to mirroring and can't simply drive two screens or a screen and a beamer.

any guess when apple fixes this? wher the old imacs also limited to mirroring?

andi

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

One quick question, how may PC Notebooks have a VGA/DVI-in port so you can use them as a monitor?

I'd ask the same question about all-in-one PCs, but they keep dying out. ;)

As far as spanning vs. mirroring, spaning is a Pro-user feature -- buy one of the PowerMac/Books if you want it.

Part of Apple keeping the consumer/Pro machines different.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, in a notebook there are space limitations and it's unlikely that someone uses it as stationary display for two computers.

as for all in one PC's---no as for all pc's: mac should be better of course! ;)

i think the expansion possibilities and the dual processors are enough to keep the lines apart. but for a future digital hub two screens would be fine.

i hope apple goes this way. but i'm going to buy the 23" 2.2 GHz G5 iMac next March anyway. :p

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

First there will not be a 2.2Ghz iMac G5 come March 2005. A 1.8-2.0Ghz yes. :)

Second there is a hack for the iMac G5 to do screen spanning not mirroring, google it. :)

9. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I thought there was a hack to enable two screen spanning on the G5 iMac...

just do a search for "G5 iMac spanning" on Macrumors or Google and you should be able to find it.

a better video card as an option would be nice though (so you could use Tiger's core image and core video)

vSpacken