New graphics card for B-Day?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coopdog, Oct 30, 2002.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Im running a G4 350 model w/ 384 Ram, and i think a 128 rage graphics card. I use my comp mostly for Word, video, and gaming. My friend said that game speed is dependent on the graphics card, not the prosessor speed. Is this true? I would think that a complex game like Red Faction, Quake, UT ect. Would use about 100%. Well is it worth upgrading my PCI 128 Rage (would I notice a speed improvement and be able to run games with a better graphics setting)? What model would you suggest? Thanks alot.

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

well, your friend is half wrong. Gaming performance relies on both the CPU and the graphics card. I suspect you have the yikes motherboard for your G4, which limits your options. You are limited to a PCI graphics card, which i believe the best mac one is the radeon 7000. If you could, id try to find a newer motherboard with an AGP slot, and a faster G4 chip. Ebay might have that. I dont know if the power supply is the same, but they have those too.

To summarize, if all you want is better graphics, get the radeon 7000, or to save some bucks, get a original radeon, its better than the rage. If you really want performance, look into either a new motherboard, or a whole new computer. If the power supply is the same, you can swap in a sawtooth motherboard with an AGP slot, and get a better card, like the radeon 8500. This does cost a lot of money in the long run, youd probably have a much easier time if you sold your current computer and buy a newer one.