Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Hello everyone. I'm Mike 50. I have an iMac G3-333, 160MB RAM, running OS9.1. The IE5 browser I'm using isn't supported any more at some of the websites I visit and is no longer upgradable. I'm considering installing two new 256MB memory cards from Memory Solutions so that I can install OS10.4 and use Safari, but have read at the Apple site that non-Apple upgrade cards will not work with Mac OS. Is this true? Is the 333 speed of this machine a hindrance to running Tiger? I'd also like to use GarageBand and Photoshop applications. Is my machine truly obsolete and should be replaced?

Thanks.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i'm not sure if the RAM addition would be completely useless, but if you want to run Photoshop and Garageband, i'd say it's time to spring for a new machine. there's only so much you can do on a years-old processor with a limited amount of RAM.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Third party memory can work in the iMac G3 if it is the right memory. Of course Apple won't support it.

Stick with a reputable supplier that tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work. Do not choose generic PC RAM that doesn't come with a written guarantee of iMac G3 233-333 MHz Tray-load CD compatibility.

Be aware that some of the tray load iMacs won't recognize both 256 Mb modules for 512 Mb, and will be limited to 384 Mb (128 + 256) there is no way to tell in advance if a particular machine will or won't.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I run 10.4 on a 350 MHz G3 iMac, runs very well! Photoshop runs like a dream, however, when I tried Garage Band, it was unusable. The interface was very very slow and it would often max out with only one software instrument...

Time to upgrade, methinks :(

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
By "upgrade cards" they are talking about CPU upgrades; memory is not typically refered to as "cards." The memory will be fine, and Photoshop would be usable if slow on that machine, but pretty much forget about GarageBand. I'd suggest a newer machine.

--Eric

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...I'm considering installing two new 256MB memory cards from Memory Solutions so that I can install OS10.4 and use Safari ...I'd also like to use GarageBand and Photoshop applications.

512mb and maybe a bigger faster hard drive, and use 10.3 instead of 10.4 and you would have a very usable machine. i have a g3/400 that gets used on a daily basis for music/internet/mail and it works really well.

not going to work for garageband or photoshop though. so either money into the imac/g3, and the cost of a second machine, or just sell the imac/g3 and get something more current. if you like the all in one, there are some amazing deals on emacs to be had. second choice for a little more money would be the g5 imacs (1.6 or 1.8). i believe this would be the best return on your investment, and the g5 stuff has really come down in price since the intel stuff came out.

best of luck.

Mike50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks guys. I guess there's a new machine in my future.

I'm looking forward to alot of lurking and learning from this site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.