new guy needs help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by lowam, Oct 31, 2004.

1. lowam macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004
    hello all. i just got a mac about a month ago and there are objects i want to delete but when i try to it says "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficiant privileges for some of the items". i dont have a huge hard drive so i need all the space i can get. can somebody help the new guy? thanks :)
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    For the most part, you should be able to delete items which the system doesn't need and which aren't in the folders of other users. What is it that you can't get rid of?
  3. tjmcardl macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2004
    Urbana, IL
    Umm, well, my guess would be that you're trying to delete things that you really don't want to delete. Most of the files that you don't have 'sufficient privileges' to delete are system files that your computer needs to operate.

What exactly is it you're trying to get rid of? If you're really concerned with getting as much as possible out of your harddrive, then it may be worth it to format your harddrive and cleanly install the entire operating system without extra things you don't need, such as languages you don't read/speak, printer drivers you'll never need, and any applications that you don't use. Just make sure that you have everything you need backed up somewhere first!

If you're trying to delete files that you know you should be able to delete, but it won't let you, then click on the file and hit command-i to get the file info. Then look under the 'Ownership and Permissions' tab and make sure it says that you're allowed to read and write the file.

4. lowam thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004
    hey thanks guys. i got it all taken care of. couldnt have done it with out ya.i had to go under ownership and permissions just like tjmcardl said.its all stuff i have put on therethat i am trying to get rid of. not anything important. thanks again.