New Hard Drive Acting Strange....Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Dec 27, 2006.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

So I recently installed a new harddrive into my macbook for more space. It was working fine but just recently (after a couple days since it was installed) it started acting really strange. When ever I would shut it down and restart it the computer would not restart. It would stay on the blue screen with the apple logo and the spining circle below it. I found out that when I put the mac osx start up cd 1 in the computer and shut it down and restart it again it will start up after a couple min of the blue screen. When it does start up it takes me right into mac osx and everything is fine, everything is still on computer and computer works great. So I guess what I am asking is why does this happen and what can I do to fix it?

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The first thing I'd look at is making sure the correct hard drive is selected in the Startup Disk preference pane.

3. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok well I spoke too soon. Just after posting my computer started really acting up (non stop rainbow spinning wheel). So I went to restart the computer. When i did it took about 10 min of just sitting on the blue screen with the apple logo and the spinning circle below it (with the mac osx start up disk in the computer)to finally start up. When it did all I got was the desktop with the rainbow spinning wheel which never went off. I decided to turn it off and let it sit for a while. I went out and when a came back a couple hours later I went to turn it on I got the blue screen with the apple logo and the spinning circle below it and then the computer just turned off. I tried a couple times and I kept getting this. Please help......

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

5. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You do that by booting off the install DVD. But back up one step easier. Run Disk Utility (in the utilities folder). Click the HD on the left, and then click the repair permissions button on the right. When it finishes (~5-10 minutes), click the Verify Disk button. At the end of this, it should either say that the verification was successful or that there are problems. If there are problems, you will need to boot off the install DVD and run Disk Utility from there to do Repair Disk (cannot repair the boot drive while booted from it).

7. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

the only problem with that is the fact that when I turn my computer on it just sits on the blue screen with the apple logo for a couple of mins and then shuts down without warning. Is there a specific key stroke that I must input when I am at this screen in order to be able to do what is mentioned above?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You said that you found a trick to boot all the way into the OS, right? Use it to boot into Tiger. Then follow my directions. If that doesn't work or you need to repair the disk, then open system preferences -> startup disk -> select the Tiger DVD (while it's in the drive) and click the restart button in the preferences window. This will lead to booting off the DVD; then when you get to the installation prompts, you'll notice that there are menus up in the menu bar. From there, you can run Disk Utility.

But, you MUST repair permissions while booted off the HD. You must repair the DISK while you're booted off the DVD. Only do it that way.

9. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I found a trick into the OS for a brief period of time. What I would do was just put the mac osx disk into the drive and it would eventually load. Now its just starting up to a blue screen with the apple logo and shutting down after a couple of mins whether I have the cd in the cd rom or not.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Then try holding the "c" key as soon as you reboot with the DVD in the drive. Run the hardware tests from the install DVD menus and also repair the disk, but do not repair permissions from disk utility while booted off the DVD (the DVD may have out of date permissions info and cause unpredictable results).

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Another thing: if you can get the machine to boot, launch Disk Utility, select your hard drive in the left menu and look down at the bottom where it says SMART Status.

It should say it's OK. If it says anything else, especially something in red, your disk is failing (and a failing disk seems to fall in line with some of the stuff you've been describing).

12. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502