new hard drive advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by student_trap, Mar 14, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hello.

My lacie 160 gig triple extreme hard drive is dying on me, and has prompted me to get another external hard drive to quickly back up. I was however in need of a new drive (my lacie is full) and so i suppose now is a good time to get spending!

my needs are as follows:

1. i need to back up my mbp's 160 gig hard drive
    2. i need a copy of what is on my lacie before it dies for good, which is 160 gigs
    3. i need more space for my photos, which will eventually be stored using apature (when i buy it) on an external drive, so...

for (3.), what connection would be best if the app is on the external and constantly using 10 megapixel images? I would prefer FW800 but this usually makes the drives sooo expensive!

should i be thinking about buying 2 hard drives such as these, (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...f_rd_r=0Q3JHCBE8VHF5A75VDKX&pf_rd_i=560798)as they would allow me to back up sufficiently while also giving me space to grow?

any suggestions for other RELIABLE hard disks?

thanks for any advice given, I am lost as to what HD's to get and am obviously disappointed with lacie.

(PS I would rather not go the 'build your own external' route, i know that i would do something wrong!)

2. shecky Guest

shecky

if you want to stay the external drive route, i would buy mercury elite pro enclosures from OWC and put Seagate 7200.10 drives into them. this will not be the cheapest but will be the most (or one of the most) reliable external options (based on my research.) the FW800 vs. the FW400 is only a $15 price difference and worth it.

i have big storage needs so i am going the NAS route.

3. eyelight macrumors member

I have roughly the same question as the original poster. My LaCie 250GB drive has gone kaput, and I can rescue everything off it with Diskwarrior, but to do that I need another drive to put it on.

Everything I look at seems to be USB 2 these days. Not being too much of a techie, I don't know if my 15" PB 1.5Gig has USB 2 ports. Last drive was Firewire 800, which I would prefer, but the cost is a good bit more. I'll probably pay the extra for the extra speed, but can anyone recommend some good reliable brands. No really wanting to go the LaCie route again. Have heard bad reports and can back that up with my own drive taking a nose dive.

Thanks

4. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Roll your own.

I use Seagate and WD disks in Icy Box enclosures (no fans). I have never had one fail on me. Fantastic kit, and cheap. It takes me literally less than 5 minutes to do the build.