New hard drive for PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brent NYC, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Brent NYC macrumors newbie

I bought my 12" PowerBook G4 in Jan '04 and I love it.

I thought the 40GB HD would be enough. But now that I'm down to almost 20BG (in just 3 months), I'm thinking an upgrade might be in order.

Can anyone provide advice on the best way to do this, and if there is the possibility of it causing problems in the future?

I'm looking to keep my PowerBook for a long time, so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks!

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd wait and try to get by with an external. opening it up will void your warranty and possibly damage it.

http://www.mcetech.com/ - these guys, from what i hear, can up your harddrive for a price if you order some other service without voiding your warranty. (i don't see them offering HD replacement as a standalone service, though.)

3. Brent NYC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I wasn't sure how frequently people replace HDs on mac
    (I'm a new mac user)

Thanks.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

a friend of mine just replaced his HD in his Ti. it was out of warranty and his internal HD actually died on him. so he had no choice.

i'd get a large (2x or 3x capacity of your internal) ext. HD, partition into two and use one of them to mirror exactly what's on your internal and the rest to hold other stuff. that way, you can always restore your internal back if it fails...