New hard drive help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by timmillwood, Aug 21, 2006.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    I m looking to get a new hard drive for my Powermac dual 2.0gz (2 chips, 4 slot ram model)

I currently have one 160gb hdd and looking for one the same size or bigger, but i then though i will be getting a mac pro within the next year so it would be nice to get one that would be ok for that to. so i am looking to get a 250gb drive to backup my current 160gb drive then use the new 250gb drive in my mac pro (when i get it) to back up the 250gb drive already in it.

Whats the best drive i can get to run in my powermac and then will be ok for my mac pro?

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    anything SATA, aka Seria ATA. Western Digital is what I use.
    It would have to be a SATA drive, if you are unsure which drives are the best you could always find one at the price you want and read a review at for instance : . I have been told personally, contrary to timmillwood that Western Digital aren't the best drives to go with. I would probably go with Maxtor or Seagate. :)
  4. dex22 macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2003
    Round Rock, TX
    Here's what I would look for if I were you, based on Pricewatch, 1 minute ago :)

A S-ATA 2 drive with a 16MB cache would be the best performer in your Mac Pro when you get it, and will work well in your PowerMac.

Looking on Pricewatch, A WD2500KS Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM drive with 16MB buffer would be $78.60 including free shipping.

Hope this helps...
  5. MacProGuy macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2006

Personally, I'd recommend the new 320GB perpendicular drive from Seagate... the 7200.10

MUCH FASTER than just about anything out there, and at $99 from New Egg

30 Cents a Gig ain't too bad for a much faster performer ;)

Of course, if you just HAVE to get the cheapest thing out there...

$63 for 250GIG SATA 8 Meg Cache:
  6. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Yes, I recommend Seagate as well.

Whatever you get, make sure it has (at least) a 5-year warranty.