New hard drive screws up computer/can't partition w/OS restore disk

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Agincourt, Jun 15, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    I've recently purchased a 250 GB ATA hard drive for my ibook G4 (1.42 Ghtz) and decided to first test it on a powerbook G4 (12 inch 877 Megahertz). I could not get the thing booted up with an OS disk, nor does it register in firewire disk mode. So I can't perform a migration in any event.

I realize that the new drive probably needs to be reformatted to work with an Apple machine, but isn't the OS disk supposed to allow you to format new hardware? Whenever I try to boot up the computer with the OS restore DVD, it freezes and I get lines across the screen.

Question: Is this most likely a result of an old powerbook not able to equip a 250 GB hard drive? Or would this problem very likely strike my ibook if I had installed it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2008
    In OSX Snow Leopard / Godalming UK
    have you tried booting without the hdd installed, the symptoms sound smiler to what i got with failed gpu's of three ibooks i had
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    I wasn't aware you could do that. And even if I could, it doesn't address how I would migrate the OS and data from my ibook to the new hard drive. I can't exactly install the drive while the computer is in operation. And unless I'm confident that the drive works, I don't want to risk taking my ibook apart multiple times.

And I highly doubt it's the GPU, as the powerbook was working perfectly until I replaced the drive.
  4. macrumors 68040

Dec 7, 2009
    Did you set jumper on new HDD properly (to master)?
    Second: if your PB will not boot and you're getting lines on screen, you probably made some mistakes while assembling it. Especially if it was working before.
  5. macrumors 68040

Sep 17, 2009
    setting master or cable select to boot , and that is interesting subject
    first i guess its on all Mac's that the drives wont boot if they set to slave
    but some Mac's need to be set as Master , but others need to be set as cable select , either way the easiest way to make sure the drive boots is to jumper it the same way the original harddrive was jumpered ( careful some hardrives need to be jumpered mirrored as the labels are upside down )

but your stripes on screen have absolute nothing to do with the harddrives jumper settings , so my guess is too that you messed something up when assembling it again ...or while disassembling it (static charge ? wire not connected properly or pinched ? something like that ):eek:
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    Nope. Didn't mess up. After reinstalling the old drive back into the PB, it seemed to work just fine.

I have to admit that the symptoms I described were more related to hardware, so this only makes everything more difficult to figure out. I almost wished the PB were broken when I started it up again with the old drive.

Anyway, I just bought a USB 2.0 HD enclosure and I'll see if I can partition the drive that way after it arrives.