New Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elhefe, Dec 23, 2005.

1. elhefe macrumors newbie

I have a G5 (1.6GHz) and have a new hard drive. What I want to do, is "Ghost" the old onto the new, and make the new drive the main OS drive and the old drive a data drive. I would rather not have to install Mac OS X on the new drive, but would rather "image" it from the old drive. Is there a way to do so and how?

Thanks...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper will both do this. You can search this forum or google for more info.

3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

There are several application that can do this task. Two come to mind right now. You can search version tracker for :

1. super duper

2. carbon copy cloner

I use super duper and it works like a charm never used carbon copy but a lots of people here use it.

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Ghost, bost, trost....Nortonspeak for peecee crap app.......
    forget it NOW.....
    before it comes to haunt you :)

use the apps listed already. On Macs, it's called "cloning" :D

6. elhefe thread starter macrumors newbie

yep that did it!

Thanks, Carbon copy clone did the job...

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I was just about to create a similar thread actually, but why not just post it in here? :) I'm in a similar situation, but mine is a USB external disk (Western Digital 160 GB). I literally only have about 4 GB of free space on my main drive (see sig for specs) and need to clear up some space. I would like to clone this drive onto my new external drive, but I also want to use it as my boot drive. But is that possible with USB? I read that it is with FireWire, so I'm not sure. If I can't boot from it, that's okay. As long as I can get all my music/photos/etc. files onto the other drive, which is as easy as dragging and dropping, correct?

Thanks for the help and happy holidays! :D

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You cannot boot via USB. You can still clone the drive to USB for a full backup, but it will not be bootable.