New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr. No, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    I am thinking about buying a new hard drive for my G5. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand?? I am considering Seagate or Hitachi.

Actually, I will be building a RAID 0 array to increase the speed of data access.
  2. seabass069 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    Buy the WD 73 gig 10,000 rpm Rapture as your main drive. Then buy a huge 500 gig hitachi drive. The WD will give you very fast input/output.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Either brand is good and would be what I would recommend.

Remember that if one disk fails you will lose all data. Remember to make good backups.

What do you need the speed for?
  4. Dr. No thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    Another question- I heard SATA-II drives came out (300Mb/sec). I thought I saw an article on XLR8YourMac that some older G5s have problems with these drives. Is this true? :confused:
  5. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005

HOw much faster we talking? I'm thinking about getting another 500 gb to go with the 500 thatll be in the computer. Will it be quick enough to warrant forgoing all the space?
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The Macs don;t support SATA II or NCQ. The drives are supposed to be backwards compatible however.

Please consider the downside of RAID0 - any error on either of the drives means you lose all data on all drives. The overhead of RAID mostly negates the speed improvement for typicall single-user use. See for articles.

You will get as fast if not faster performance simply by splitting your data and your system/ scratch space onto separate drives. The Raptor System drive + Big Data drive is what many production graphic studios prefer.