New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beno7765, Dec 8, 2006.

1. beno7765 macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I've finally made the swap to macs having bought a macbook. The only problem is that it only has a 60gig hard drive and I'm looking to upgrade this right away. Is something along the lines of this an option -

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/95583

Also would installing os x on this new drive be relatively easy?

Thanks for any help.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

yes, reinstalling the OS is not difficult. good thing....if you get stuck, you can put the old one back in until you figure the solution. however, if it is a straight-forward install, you should have no issues.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Installing OS X is not like installing Windows. It is super easy, and entirely graphical.

Macs do not take any sort of proprietary hard drives - any industry standard drive will work.

4. RadarLove macrumors newbie

This drive uses PATA and won't work in a Macbook. You need a SATA drive. Also, if you are going to upgrade, you should also consider the 160GB drives from either Seagate or Hitachi. They use newer PMR (perpendicular recording) technology, so you might get a performance improvement, as well as additional space.

Installing OS X is straightforward. Boot from the OS X DVD. If you are interested in conserving space, on either the first or second screen of the installation program, you can choose not to install all the various languages, printer drivers, and trail software (you have to look carefully for the button). This saved me ~6-7GB when I reinstalled.

5. beno7765 thread starter macrumors newbie