New Hard Drives for Powerbooks!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by keithcobbett, Feb 8, 2002.

1. keithcobbett macrumors member

2. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... 5400 RPM. Good. Price tag a tad high though. I belive both Storewell and Lacie have Pocketdrives based on the same (or same kind of) drive.

60 gig drive in a PB G4? Now, THAT would be nice for my movies to go :)

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

not sure how long I'll have my PowerBook...

but I just replaced the 10 gig in my TiBook last september with a 30....

I'm not even sure what I'd do with a 60 gig hard drive....I already now have an external firewire 10 (transplanted with my older drive) and the internal 30.....

I don't think I could spend that much money on a 60 gig hard drive the more I think about it......oh well...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you call that a tad high, I want your wallet. At over $700 it is wayyy too steep. Especially since I have seen the same drive in a firewire enclosure for just over $500 (internal). I am also getting it to go inside my TiBook for under $400. :D

Otherworld Computing has it for about $500 (http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/).

5. segastyle macrumors member

i keep hearing that these are powerbook hard drives. is there any reason why one couldn't use them in the 12.1 inch ibooks? i mean other than the extremely involved process of exchanging hard drive in the ibooks. is hte heat/power consumption ok for use?

the size sounds great, but the speed jump from 4200 to 5400 sounds really great.

thanks.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

There is a reason... the iBook cannot accept any drive over the 9mm thickness. The 60GB drives are 12mm. I know that it might not seem like much, but the iBook has more of a space crunch then the TiBook does.

7. segastyle macrumors member

nope, that makes perfect sense to me. i knew there was a reason somewhere.

thanks a.t.

i will be getting a very large external drive to host my cds anyway (my collection might be up to around 1000 now), but i was thinking about a faster internal drive. i'm still getting "used" to doing things on a laptop....

8. moby1 macrumors 6502

maybe a BTO option

Maybe we'll see the 48 GB TravelStar as standard on the high end PB and the 60 GB as a BTO option. That'd leave the 30 GB as standard on the low end PB. Not a bad line up.

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

well as long as its better than what apple ships with them...my dad got a 500 mhz g4 pb with a 30 gig drive...I transfered all his files over and had everything all set, and then the drive crapped out. started clicking and refused to start from disk...then I had to go through the transfer process all over again