New Harddrive for PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So my harddrive on my Titanium Powerbook died and I needed a replacement. I had a 48 Gig, 5400 rpm drive on there and a little searching around and I came up with a 60 Gig, 7200 rpm replacement.

I didn't think too much of it at the time, but after a while I soon noticed that things like file transfer and such were much snappier. Its quite nice and I'm really glad I got a decent drive for the thing.

I'd highly recommend this one to anyone looking to upgrade.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=503524

D :D

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hehe, good choice mr. anderson

that's what I want for X-mas :)

but how is the noise level and the temerature in comparison to your old drive? I took a look at the spec-sheet some time ago on the OWC-site and both seem quite reasonable..?

and the performance increase for me would be even higher since I still have my stock 60BG 4000something RPM drive in my tiBook..

vSpacken

3. Aciddan macrumors member

Good question about noise levels etc.

I was reading another website thread and one of the folks did some research and founf the Hitachi 7200 rpm drive was quieter at full use than a 4200, but slightly noisier than a 4200 at idle.

Interestingly, the 7200 also consumed less power...

Would be nice to see this bottleneck removed from the PB line (HDDs on any notebook are a bottleneck) as either a standard or BTO option (wasn't it a BTO option a year or so ago, but the drives were removed because those particular ones weren't up to scratch?)

-- Dan :D

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Mr. Anderson,

being kinda stupid here, but...

how did you transfer the file from the old one to the new one?

since you said your old one died, i assume you went:

old HD -> dead
    back up -> new HD

you'd need to put in the new HD first, install OS, then move the files, correct?

also, being stupid again, opening up the Ti and changing the HD would void any warranty, right? (i got a less than a year old 12" Al... i might consider upgrading the HD personally if it came down to it.)

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's what I did and reinstalled a lot of the software (pain in the ass....)

As for warranty, not sure - its not that big a deal, just make sure you're careful and not rough on it. I don't know how the 12" is set up, but it wasn't simple to remove the old harddrive on my 15".

As for noise and heat - you know what, I think there is less in both. The drive was thinner by about 50% than the old one too.

Good luck,

D

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

perfect! that's what I'll get next (when Panther comes out I'll have to do a new install anyways, so it's a good time to also upgrade the HD.)

vSpacken

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought the reason Apple went with the 4800RPM drives in the PB's was because the access times were similiar because the disk was denser? And that it was supposed to perform about the same as a faster RPM drive?

I would replace my HD if it would give it a nice little speed boost.

8. fozy macrumors member

HD???

I've been going through the same issues. In fact I believed my 12" Ti book to be delivered with a 4200rpm so I upgraded it to a 5400 rpm drive of the same brand and it did not recognize the HD. Strangest thing.

Is there a good way to migrate an OSX user and files from one machine to the next?
    Thanks,
    Mike