new harddrive on ibook--downloaded programs don't load

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yatesk, May 12, 2006.

1. yatesk macrumors newbie

I had to get a new harddrive on my iBook, and now I've downloaded the Gmail notifier and Sound Studio, and neither programs will run/load/do anything. The icons just bounce in the tray and nothing happens. What does this mean, and how can it be fixed?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't tried downloading or installing either of those two apps so help me out. You download the DMG, it mounts properly, you drag the app into your Applications folder, and it won't start? Alternatively, did these apps come with their own installers? :)

3. yatesk thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i download things and drag them into the applications folder and they don't load or run. they're really simple things; i've downloaded them before. it's really weird. a third i tried was an audio application called "ardour" and it required a program called JACK so i downloaded JACK and something called JackPilot and this X11 thing it all needed to run, and none of it will run. another thing i'm having a problem with is getting my internal mic to work--it doesn't seem to. i can't believe this new harddrive doesn't come with some kind of recording program, anything to use that i could test out the internal mic. i've gone to "system preferences" and "sound" and it says "internal microphone" so i guess it's there... it just doesn't work. or i have nothing to use it with to try it. :( i'm so frustrated.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

System Preferences should give you the opportunity to test your microphone in the Sound pane, under the heading of Input. There should be a bar labelled Input Level that shows how sensitive the microphone is being.

As for your app loading problem, are old apps still working? Also, does the same apply to new/other user accounts on the same machine? :)