New HD, New RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Apr 26, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    The harddrive on my new PB is making clicking noises with high pitched whines so I believe it's going to get replaced when I go home in a week or so, but I think I want to just have them add some RAM while they're at it.

It has two 256's right now, so I want to pay to have them switch out 1 of them and put a 512 in it's place. How much would they charge to do that?
  2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    I've heard/seen numbers anywhere from $40-$80 US to due this but you could take it to CompUSA and have them do it also as it won't harm the Applecare in any way since they are a certified Apple Repair Center (at least they were in 2005).
  3. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    if you are comfortable following instructions and have some experience with a might opt for performing the surgery yourself, might save you a couple bucks. hard drive might be a bit intimidating but ram should be painless.

which powerbook model is it?
  4. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Yeah, I'm sure I could do the RAM myself if I tried, I just haven't done anything to the internals of a computer before, so I'd rather just pay for it to be done.

It's the latest revision PB g4 12" BTW. Revision E I believe?

Dissapointed that the brand new computer's harddrive is already making those noises... they'd better replace it with no problems :).
  5. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    heck yes. make sure they do replace it and don't let them give you any guff.

After my 35 day Apple HD replacement saga I always worry when people say their HD clicks... :eek: :eek:
  6. gman71882 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    RAM can be done SOOO Easyily by yourself... dont pay to have someone put it in FOR YOU!!! IT wont void your warranty if you put it in either.