New HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Boris Yeltsin, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Boris Yeltsin macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just placed my order for a new 10K raptor, and am really looking forward to getting, and putting it into the G5. That said, I have a question. I will be using the raptor for the OS and Apps. The other (the one in the system right now) I'd like to use as a data drive. How in the heck to I go about doing this? Do i just create folders for data, or is there some app that allows me to set the drive for saving anything other than applications (I really hope this makes sense)? Any Help would be appreciated.

Boris

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

First off, getting the OS onto the Raptor. You can use CarbonCopyCloner (search versiontracker.com) to clone the contents of the old disk to the new one (you can't just copy everything over by hand). Or, you could do a fresh install, and move everything over (like apps and preferences etc). At any rate, once you have everything moved over to the Raptor, I would format the old drive (erases it completely) to get all of OS X's invisible files off of it. Then, the disk is whatever you want it. You could partition it, or leave it as 1, create as many folders as you want, etc. You don't need to take any special steps... It'll just be an empty hard disk.

paul