New Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JonDownin, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JonDownin macrumors member

I need a nice/compact speaker solution for my place and I am looking at the iPod Hi-Fi but it has been out for a while. I'm a little wary if there will be an update soon with airport or other desirable features. Anyone have a Hi-Fi and have some input on how it is? Is it worth the $350 or 40,000 yen or so I will have to pay?

Oh, by the way, I will be using this as a speaker system hooked up to my MBP, not as a iPod speaker dock (though I wish I could use it as an iPod dock to my MBP).

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have listened to the Hi-Fi and the Bose Sound Dock side by side and the Bose has much better sound quality. I own the Bose and couldn't be happier :) It goes so loud and sounds so good... plus you save 50 dollars and about 6 inches :)

3. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I would get the Bose but it doesn't have a standard connection to connect to my MBP as I stated I would be using it for in my original post. Wish it did...

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Well then I guess you... will need the Hi-Fi? Unless there is something else that fits your needs?

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

The Hi-Fi does sound better at high volumes, though!

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You think so? I tried both out at the Apple store and the employee told me to crank em both up, and we both agreed the bose sounded better. On several different types of music. Guess its just taste. (999th post)

7. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I'm not so sure the Apple store is a good test location for these things. A small, quiet bedroom or office would be better. Also the Hi-Fi is $299 on Amazon also! I'm looking to get one but I'm not sure which one.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Going to disagree...the Hi-Fi is better...it goes louder, not to mention supports batteries and can work with all iPod, plus any thing with a headphone jack!

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The iPod hifi does sound better, it's probably just the Apple Store you were listening in.

What is nice about the Bose is that it doesn't look like an out of proportion iMac with a black front. I think the iPod Hifi is pretty damn ugly...

IMO though, if you're spending that much on a speaker system, you may as well do it properly and go all the way up to a BeoSound 1. It costs a lot more, but really, the sound, design and extra functionality completely outweighs it...