New home office, design ideas?

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Feb 11, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

Since we are moving into the new house next week, we are starting to think of how to design our office. Its a loft style attic that has been finished like a room. We are looking to do the whole minimalistic thing. What I'm looking for here is link to funriture with the minimalistic feel, but with a modern touch. I really like the look that glass and aluminum give a room, so I was hoping to lean more in that direction.

Aslo, the room has a big (7' high at peak, 7' wide at base) triangluar floor to celing window facing south. What colors (soft and elegant) would best accent this day long sunlight. I was thinking a soft green, or possably a mauve (wife's idea).

But mainly we are looking for the furniture.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

My favorite place

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should post before and after pics as well.

So what types of machines and quantity are you going to put in this room? Desks, chairs, tables, bookselves, what's the plan?

D

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Choose flooring, fabrics and furniture first. Golden rule.

Why?

Because the finishings and colours of those items is always far more limited than the range of paint colours.

If you choose your paint colours first, it's always harder to find something to match that colour than vice versa... so get your floor, curtains or blinds first.

IMHO the two most important items in an office are the chair & desk in that order. Find a chair that you're comfortable in. You may be spending over 30 hrs a week sitting on it...

5. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

The room will need two desks, We would like on on each side is the room (backs facing each other) The floor is a concrete tile, very light and industrial looking. The walls are white now, but after talking with her on the phone, we are chooseing a soft pale green for the walls, almost minty.

I know to choose the paint last, but since we want either galss, alum, or a white for the desks and a pale pine like for the book cases, I'm sure anythign will match.

one desk (mine) will have a PM G5 and a 20" apple display (older LCD) and a place for my iBook. The other desk (hers) will have a iMac G5 20" (mounted on the wall) and a (cough) Dell with 20 Dell LCD. The towers will go down below. I am thinking of mouting my older 20" apple LCD to the wall like we are going to do with the iMac. We have the iMac wall mouted now, buts thats really to save desk space in our crappy office we have now, but we really liek the look as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Keep 'em coming

6. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

forgot to add, no keyboard trays, I f'n hate those things... :p

7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I was considering a glass setup and I'm glad I backed out. Fragile and the proneness/vulnerability to appear really dirty scared me off.

Slick

This company has many lines besides the above linked "Malibu." I have a coffee table and credenza (which I turned into a bar) in gray. I also have a blue desk and matching locker (see below). I'm not sure where you can pick this up in your locale. In MI, there is a store about 1 hr away where I've bought it all. Everything comes flat-packed and requires assembly. It is not difficult (hell, I put it together), is quite sturdy (and heavy), and isn't prone to scratches. I have a fully-clawed feisty feline that lounges and runs around on this stuff every day.

Attached Files:

8. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

That place is nice. I'm really liking the look of this table. and I liek some of the kitchen stuff too, I most definatly buy at least something from them.

I will need to look at the place Inspector Lee too.

Attached Files:

9. iGav macrumors G3

pale green and concrete??? :eek: hmmmmmm.... what about a pale brown? I know Dulux are a little mainstream, but they're the kings of colour. period. You could do alot worse than having a tommy gander on the Dulux site for ideas.

As for furniture links... well I suggest you start with the daddy... MoCo Loco extensive contemporary design site. ;)

Also try...

http://www.viaduct.co.uk/
    http://spacemodern.com
    http://www.wonder-wall.com
    http://www.designhouse.se/
    http://www.lyx.com/

Hope it's of some help. ;)

10. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Wow there is some really cool furniture there! I have been looking for some stuff exactly like this...Too bad I have NO idea how to acquire any of these sharp looking goods. The website really doesn't reveal much in the way of store locations or mail order possibilities. :(

11. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks iGav. I'll have to give these a look.

on the Pale green and concrete. there is already a little too much brown in this house. Since its older (100yrs) it has alot of old wood work, mixed in with the modern touches we have added in the past few weeks. I'll post pics when I get home if I didn't pack my camera yet, lol.

12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

This weekend, I've got to call the store near my pad which sells this stuff. I'll inquire about possible vendors around St. Louis. I know the stuff ships into Buffalo, NY and used to be handled by "skypad furniture" out of Tornoto. Evidently, Traspecialen wasn't too thrilled with their performance and cut them out. Supposedly, this will result in lower prices. I'll try to get more details this weekend.

13. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

sweet man! Thanks! :)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When you said big triangular window, I immediately think how good wooden walls would look. Vertical panels of dark wood, classic-looking. Depends on your window view though. If it's all city, then disgard my idea. If it's suburban, or nature-y... Wood all the way. Gonna look niiice! :)