New Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, the Mrs and I sold our home theatre about two months ago. We replaced our RCA system with an Hitachi. Well right after we bought the Hitachi, the DVD went out. Returned for another one, and the DTS decoder went out. Returned for another one, and the DVD would only read one layer disc's. So we decided to step up to the plate. Here are the specs on our new system, and it is increadible. Anyone who wants a home theatre, this is a very nice one. Watts is low, but it is unreal how loud this thing is. In fact, it is louder than the 700 watt RCA that we had.

here is a link with the specs. In the picture it only shows one of the towers, there are two, and there are three of the smaller speakers.

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consume...sandsavasurroundsystems/sa-vad900_specs.shtml

Attached Files:

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

That is an excellent way to increase your post number! Actually so is me complainin.

Ok, ignore me :)

Ensign

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're not doing much better over at SpyMac - MacRumors-Guy......

yes, it is nice B2tm - congrats :D

D

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

That's cool B2tm
    I have a Bose Acoustimass system, and it rocks! It gets as loud as I want it to be, with crystal clear sound, and ground-thumping lows... Sound is good :cool:

post count +1 :D

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I want the bose system. My parents have one of their set-ups, and it is so much better than the system I have set up. Much much nicer sound.

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

G4Scott, those Bose systems kick serious A$$. I am just blown away at the power this Sony has with only 200 watts. It is unreal. If you get a chance go to a sears near you and listen to the thing. I am totally blown away right now, especially on DTS DVDs. Really something special. :cool:

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

System

My dad has a pretty spiffy system. 2 years ago, we got him the Acoustomas X (not sure which one). It came with 5 speakers, a sub, and a JVC Reciever.

At the time, he had a 40" Mitsubishi TV. This last X-Mas, we got him a 65" HDTV WideScreen Mitsubishi. It is described in one word..."excellent"

When you play a DVD with these speakers mounted and stuff, watching on this TV, you are just blown away.

And now he has the 40" in his room!

8. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Bose Rocks

I have a Bose store near me, and have gone through the demo several times. It really does rock.

Post Count+1:D

And in answer to your question as to finding McAllen, TX on a map:

Attached Files:

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

>And in answer to your question as to finding McAllen, TX on a map:

You're the second person to show me :p

It's funny, though, how the acoustimass speakers are tiny (except for the sub :cool: ) and yet how much sound they put out... Of course, that's just part of my home theater...

With my iBook in my room, I have a Cambridge Sound Works 2.1 digital, and the '.1' part is more like '.9'! :cool: Those Cambridge SW subs really rock. For a $79 system, they're pretty loud...

10. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 Digital at home, hooked up to my desktop (dual athlon 1600+)

If I plug my TiPB into a speaker set up, I usually plug it into my main stero system in my room.

That way I can game (Neverwinter Nights) on my desktop, while playing my own "radio" station. iTunes with 2.5 days of MP3, randomized.

disclaimer: all MP3s were recorded from CDs which I own, and are not shared.:D

11. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Two Words, Vienna Audio. My friend spent $10,000on a home theatre system (like everything, he's got a screen built into the wall, the whole bloody bit) Anyhow, when we went and tested these thigns out, the guy put on this CD for us of this guy playing a cello, on normal speakers we were like "Wow, that's sounds pretty good" But on these Vienna Audio speakers, YOU COULD HEAR HIS FINGERS STICKING EVER SO SLIGHTLY TO THE NECK OF THE CELLO. I was blown away, and he bought them, hey it's not my $10,000, **** all i got is an RCA TV, VCR and a DVD player :p

12. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Another thing, I highly recommend people look into electrostatic speakers, they have AMAZING frequency range, much better than any cone speaker on the planet, but they cost alot more, but I highly suggest...:D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I love the bose acoustimass speakers. I have them for my home theater - along with two rear and one mid channel for the surround sound, but I also got another set for my computuer - they have a different version for that one, instead of two small speakers for each channel you get one, and a differently shaped, yet still as big sub-woofer. I love it.

D

14. sneed macrumors regular

I have a high end Sony system which looked great and sounded great in my loft, but since moving to LA (aka condo land,) I can't even get decent volume without blowing the neighbors out. Sucks to be me.:(

You should see how it talks with the mac though.;)

15. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

And they have poor bass response.

The best compromise are electrosats with medium bass through l & r right cone drivers in the base (not bass), with a slave cone sub for low frequency omnidirectional bass driven though an independent sub-amp, via a nice set ot crossovers...so easy to spend in this arena.

I'm glad I have less than stellar hearing...it let's me get away with a nice pair of Klipsh 'prosumer' speakers.