New iBook - Airport Extreme Causes Computer to Slow Down then Disconnects

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by oli84, Sep 3, 2005.

1. oli84 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just recently purchased one of the new iBooks that came out end of July. It's the 12" model base config except for an upgrade to 1.5gb RAM. I'm running 10.4.2 and have tried both the airport version that came with that, and airport 4.2. The network I usually connect to uses PEAP (MSCHAPv2) for 802.1x security.

What happens is that while being connected to the internet, Airport suddenly goes insane and causes the mouse and all other graphics rendering of the OS to go really choppy or skip. EX: animations like application icon bouncing slows down and mouse is hard to control. This is followed by a disconnection from the internet, and the slowdown is not relieved until i turn airport off. If I turn it back on again, the slowdown immediately resumes, and the only way to get airport to normally connect again is to restart the computer. After which, it does the same thing again.. there doesn't seem to be a set time for this to happen, it could be 2 mins or 24 hours.

I've tried it with a different network (open netowrk). I brought over my iBook from the network I usually use and woke it from sleep at the new one. the iBook refused to connect/really slow until I restarted. I have reformatted and the problem still occurs.

I looked online and haven't found anything that could help me except for a very old bug from airport 3.4.2 which seemed to match my symptoms. It said computers with 1gb RAM or more suffered the same disconnect problems and wouldn't connect to networks out of sleep mode.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this problem and can help me out? This has been bugging me very much.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you saying you did a complete erase and install yet the problem persists? If so, it sounds like a hardware issue and you should probably get it looked at. If not, try deleting the AirPort preferences. Look for files starting with com.apple.airport... and put them in the trash and (without actually deleting the trash) see if the problems evaporate. :)

3. oli84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did do the complete erase and install of Tiger. And do I delete the preferences and restart, or do I just delete them then try to connect and see what happens?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I'd say restart and then try to reconnect (it'll ask you if you want to first) but since you've already tried reformatting and reinstalling the OS, I can't see this really helping. It sounds more like a hardware problem at the moment which could mean a call to Apple. :(

5. oli84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha of course, restarting would fix the problem, but we'll see in a few minutes what happens. Yeah that was what I was afraid of unfortunately. I'll probably be taking this to the Apple Store when I'm in the city. Sigh.. why me?

6. pds1602 macrumors newbie

7. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

Any thing new on this? I am experiencing the same thing with a 14 incher, it's good to know i'm not alone.

8. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yeah i am having the same problem here. I have 1.5GB of ram in my 12in iBook. I have been having the same problem since i got my iBook in August and it is getting really annoying.

On another note... My 17in iMac G5 (newest version) had the same problems. The only reason this has been fixed is because i now have it plugged directly into the router. I have 1GB of ram in the iMac so...

I have a weird feeling that this probelm may have something to do with 10.4.2 but i am not sure. My iMac never seemed to do it as often as the iBook but it still did it none the less.

The only way for me to fix it was to restart the computers.

9. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

WHEW!

I'm so very glad I haven't been imagining this issue. Well, if it's not fixed with 10.4.3 (next week?) then I'll have to give Apple a call.

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I think i will probably do the same thing if it does not get fixed with the update. It is REALLY annoying

11. lfielder06 Guest

My wife and I are both having the same problem. We had planned on taking them into apple to get them looked at, but now it doesn't seem like there is much they can do. :(