New iBook any time soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by serpico, Oct 10, 2004.

1. serpico macrumors regular

serpico

I have an older iBook that I love but it's time to upgrade. I saw a co-worker with one of the new 14" models and really liked it. The one thing I hate is the fixed resolution of 1024x768 and no higher options. Is there a new iBook coming out soon, any rumors on that since the Educause in Colorado is coming up ? Maybe a new eMac on the way too, I think that falls under the education category. Thanks guys, just trying to make a good decision so the wife stays quiet for another 3 years! :D

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think the eMacs will be updated here soon. Poss. a G5 architecture. The iBook and PB's won't be updated till like nov. or that, if we're lucky. They were lastly updated in May I think it was. I was on the forums all night when they updated the iB and PB's. Lets hope they can either put in the dual core processors or the G5 processors.

3. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

November I see, hmm. Guess I could wait. Very curious about the new eMac, probably just a speed bump and lower the price abit. I know I would miss the portablitiy of the iBook if I moved up to a desktop. Maybe the iMac is a better solution for me, I could still move it around quite easily. Thanks for your time.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

November seems likely. Mac Expo takes place on the 18th.

I'm betting we'll see something in October, however... ;)

5. afehrenbach macrumors member

We're already 19 days over the average update cycle's end for the iBook, so I'd just be looking out and keeping up with all of the upcoming Apple events.

As for the eMac... unless they completely redesign it, I wouldn't expect them to keep it on the market for much longer. Apple can't be getting that much profit from it, it costing so little. And is there really any chance that they upgrade it to a G5? I wouldn't think so, being that it was intitially introduced as the "education" Mac (interesting, all the schools I've visited still have the candy-colored iMacs...) or the Mac for minimalistic work. I wouldn't expect great things out of the eMac in the near future, anyway. :eek:

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

And theres a bare bones education iMac G5 aswell... I reckon they're just gonna stop it soon. No more updates.

7. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

I can't see Apple killing the eMac quite yet b/c it is their lowest priced mac for most consumers to switch from PC's. Schools probably like the eMac for it's simple all in one solution and features. I don't think they will pay more for an iMac with no optical drive. I suppose having networked iMacs, the optical drive could be useless. But price is still a factor.

Who really knows except Apple... ;)

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I feel like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" because I see this same topic everyday.

9. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

For a lot of people, myself included, the eMac offers the only option of buying into Apple computer hardware. Here in the UK the eMac sells for £549 the iMac sells for £919 thats a huge difference, I think they would lose a lot of potential switchers if they dropped the eMac - and I would be one of them.

10. stvli macrumors newbie

Ditto :)

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You've gotta admit though, this has been going on for a while. Trying to figure out what they're going to do for new iBooks or PB's. The G5's won't be around soon for PB's or iB's, so thats the whole idea behind the dual core processors. From that they could bump up the speed of the laptops and still have time to figure out architecture for PB & iB G5's. In sense, they're trying to meet consumer needs with tomorrows technology. They are at the mercy of the market hoping people will be faithful. And right now I'm becoming one of their consumers. With the other companies (Intel started it first (at least for the Personal Computer world)) saying they were going to Dual core chips, it presents a market of, dual speeds from one chip. What if the G5's did that. I mean on top of the Dual Processor they put dual cores? Imagine it, its already a 5GHz machine, but dual core the Processors and it becomes 10GHz, feel the power behind that. APPLE IF YOU'RE READING THIS TALK TO IBM ABOUT IT! Apple could probably get more of the market if they could get the G5's to do that, and with Virtual PC 7 out that supports the G5's Windows would almost be out of the market. But I know that the G4's are going to Dual core, if the G5's do, so many people would probably switch if they knew the power they could have behind a mac system. Thats it, I need a G5 iMac, anyone wanna loan me $1,299 for it? Just kidding. (It is IBM that makes the processors right? Because didn't Motorola drop out of helping make them? Or was Motorola ever in on it?)

12. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

Thank you for time guys. I know these questions may sound repetitive and I wasn't looking for an exact answer on new specs. Of course, no one really knows. I wanted to get the feeling from other members, whether I should buy now or wait a few weeks. When I bought my iBook, it had just been released back in May 2002. I'll wait and see on everyone's recommendation, hopefully Apple will release something new soon.