New iBook, but no Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jef, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jef macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2005
    My dad has been shopping for a new laptop for some time, I've been putting the hard sell on him to make the switch and he finally decided to listen. He went down to the Apple Store and was checking out stuff and was talking to the sales people, blah blah blah.

Anyway, they sold him a refurbished 14" iBook. It is 1.33ghz model. Unfortunately, I was not able to go with him when he bought it. He called me up right after and was bragging, but then he said it DIDN'T have Tiger on it. He's a longtime PC user and didn't quite understand that 10.4 is a major system upgrade, not some simple service pack.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Do you think Apple would give him a deal on the upgrade? I can't believe at an APPLE STORE they are selling ANY recent computers without Tiger.
  2. macmanmatty macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    Talk to them about your problem. With proof of purchase they should probably give you tiger for free.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    That doesn't sound right. And he purchased from an Apple store?! I could have sworn that machines (refurbished or new) should all come w/ Tiger by now. Go back go back!
  4. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Is it possible that they included Tiger on CDs, and that it's simply not installed yet on your dad's machine?
  5. jef thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2005
    Ok, good, I thought I might just be nuts. I'll get on him to call up Apple tomorrow and see what happens. Unfortnately the Apple Store is about 200 miles away, so going back is only a last resort sort of option.

I'll check for CDs, I didn't even think of that.

I was majorly confused when he said that it was Tiger free. I'm thinking that the 'helpful' salesperson wasn't as helpful as she should have been. They should be trained to be gentle with Mac neophytes.

On the plus side, I see the change overcoming him. He's learning what a REAL operating system feels like.
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Yep, there should be Tiger CDs (and iLife '05 CDs too)
  7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    No, iLife '05 is on the recovery CDs

Just thought I'd fix that for dotdotdot
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You should have a Tiger upgrade DVD in the box along with your Panther
  9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Not always...

If the iBook was made before Tiger came out, the Tiger CDs would not be included in the box. If an Apple Retail store were to give them to you, it would be as a favor, not as a requirement.
  10. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I just bought a NEW iBook 1.33ghz 14" at the university Apple Store. It came with Panther on the machine and a free (one cent) box of Tiger. They owe you a box of Tiger, sorry.
  11. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I just bought tiger and no iLife 05'. Am I suppose to have it?
  12. erickg macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    From personal experience at Applestore online, it comes with the original DVDs/CDs that came with the computer and the upgrade disc(s) for the current operating system and current version of iLife. I couldn't imagine it being any different at a "real" Applestore.
  13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Tiger is separate from iLife 05.

If you buy tiger, that's all you get.

If you have a PowerBook, iLife 05 will be on the restore disks which also contain Tiger.
  14. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    A friend of mine works at CompUSA, and in the days before Tiger was released, he had to open up all the boxes and put the DVD in them... and that was CompUSA, a retailer. The Apple store should definately have done it too, even if it is refurbished. At the very least, they should give you a big discount.
  15. jef thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks for all your help, I'm going to have him call. I'll let you all know how it turns out!
  16. vixy macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    Sorry off topic, but why do parents always do this :(
  17. enginerd macrumors member

Aug 6, 2004
    I just got a new Mini--it came with Tiger preinstalled, but the recovery disc was for Panther. I called up Apple and explained--a new Tiger recovery disc is on the way!
  18. jef thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2005
    He talked to Apple today and the tech is sending him out a copy of Tiger. No harm, no foul.

When he bought it, as he has never used an Apple in his whole life, he didn't quite understand that there was so much different in 10.4 than 10.3. Oh well, he is really digging all the 'little' things that make us love Apples so much.

Thanks again for all your help!
  19. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Mum got a new 15" a month or so ago (in sig). It didn't have tiger.. Then we couldn't do firewire target transfer because the old computer had tiger, a newer operating system.. Arghh. lol