New iBook Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by deanbo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

Macosrumors is speculating that Intel based Mac's will be released about the time of the 10.4.4 update. The first machines will be the Mac mini and the new "ultraslim iBook". Is MOSR being full of crap again? I can't for the life of me remember when the iBook was last updated. I'm not saying it's been ages, I just can't remember when. And what are the odds of Apple updating the iBook to "ultraslim" and Intel before the Powerbook? To me that just doesn't make sense.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

It was... PRETTY recently.
    85 days, with an average update cycle of 172.

I love the buyers guide.. :)

I don't see it happening.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

MOSR is always full of it... Not to say they are always wrong, but when they're right it's just dumb luck.

4. qzak macrumors 6502

not saying this holds any truth, but everyone says the power-line will be updated first. didnt steve say the portables would be first, or was that just everyone on here saying what they thought?

anyway, i could see the ibooks being updated first, why not. those average home users who would be switching over would probably be in the price range of ibooks rather than powerbooks. i dunno, just my thoughts, i just hate when people on boards who obviously have no inside information from Apple say something "definetly" will/won't happen.

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah. They say just about anything to pique the interest of suckers like myself, who dream about X800s and dual-core PowerBooks. :rolleyes:

Some of my favorite MOSR catch phrases:

"Our reliable sources in Cupertino who have been with us since 1955 ..."

"... including some of the best products ever conceived by man, stay tuned!"

"... to coincide with Apple's iHome, HDVN, iSirius and iPhone technologies, a new global telepathy technology is in development ..."

"... the biggest dirt in the history of rumors is sizzling on the grapevine ..."

:D

6. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Yeah, I highly doubt the iBooks will see an update soon. Infact, I actually expect them to run late like they did with the last update. At this point I think the whole line of Macs is set to stay where it is until the Intel based Macs start rolling out. Maybe a speed bump here or there, but for all practical purposes...things are sitting pretty right now.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

my recollection is that when the Intel switch was announced, that "the word" was that they would start with the BOTTOM of the product line....meaning Minis and iBooks starting next June and then work thru the product line with the top of the line "Pro" stuff being updated last........since then all sorts of rumor mongers have announced that they "think" that all sorts of different scenarios will happen, including new powerbooks NEXT WEDNESDAY.....this is a "rumor" site so all of these speculations should be treated with caution! :rolleyes:

8. lizard79 macrumors member

absolutly true!

9. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I general I believe that this is true, with the exception of the powerbook. In my opinion, the powerbooks are the main reason behind the switch to Intel processors. Neither IBM or Motorola have been able to supply a low power, high-performance PPC CPU. I am still in the camp that Yonah will be the base for the next PB (somewhere around March or April of 2006) and the PMacs will switch to Intel in mid-2007 (since there are a number up possible G5 upgrades possible with the new dual-cores).

Again, this is based on my opinion and experience working in the technology sector for that last decade.

Hickman

10. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I also agree, it would make sence because they just updated their pro line.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apple's lineup is set for the rest of the year (everything has been updated except the iBooks). I wouldn't expect any new hardware until MacWorld.