New iBook... Do I need to buy Tiger / iLife 05 for other mac??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anterior, Aug 23, 2005.

1. anterior macrumors newbie

I currently own an 20" iMac RevA... this computer still has panther on it. I bought my wife an iBook last night to help w/ her school work and it comes with Tiger pre-installed. Here is my question.... Can I just take the Tiger/iLife install discs that come w/ the iBook an use those to upgrade my iMac to Tiger and iLife 05? Is this legal? Or do I need to pay for the additional copy of Tiger/iLife 05?

Thanks!

-B

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Unfortunately, this is neither legal nor possible.

3. anterior thread starter macrumors newbie

stridey,

Thanks for the reply! So explain to me how this works in the mac world...

If I install Tiger (that came w/ the iBook) on my iMac, does tiger access some kind of database at Apple that says that this copy of Tiger is already "associated" w/ the iBook? Does it just not install then? For my own knowledge.... what makes it not possible?

Of course, if it's not legal... i am buying another copy of Tiger today.

I guess I am use to my Windows experience.. where... if I had a copy of Windows lying around, I would just install it on whatever computer that needed it at home... I guess that was illegal then to?

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

The restore disks that come with a computer are tied to that model. So it would be possible (but not legal) to install Tiger on another iBook with your wife's disks, but not your iMac.

In the Windows scenario you describe, that's also illegal. Each copy of Windows (or OS X) has one associated license, allowing it to be legally installed on one computer at a time.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

this is a recent change to the install disks, I believe. It used to be possible to install the Mac OS from any on to any mac from the install disks of any other mac. Not that I would know this personally, of course.

6. anterior thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.. so if I understand correctly.... the install disk(s) that comes w/ the ibook is a different install disk that would come w/ a new iMac? So there are different install disks for different macs.. yes? But.. the copy of Tiger I buy at the Apple store will install on any mac... yeah? It's just the included install disks that ship w/ the new computers are the ones that are "special" or computer model dependant.

somehow... i suprisingly don't feel too guilty about installing those copies of windows over multiple machines at home (didn't really know it was illegal). It ALMOST makes up for the MANY hours I have spent tying to remove worms and viruses just to get the computer to function properly :cool:

Thanks!

-B

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The RETAIL version of OS X Tiger can be installed on ANY Mac (so long as its fitting the requirements of 400mhz, firewire port).

The disk that will come with the iBook will contain the exact same version of Tiger as the retail disk but with an additional check so that it can only be installed on iBooks. (There is a way around this, however my morals and the laws of this forum don't permit me to post how).

It is ILLEGAL to put the iBook's TIGER disk on any other iBook.
    It is ILLEGAL to use even the RETAIL version of Tiger on more than one computer.
    It is ILLEGAL to just use a windows disk, which is lying around, on any machine you fancy.

I'm not shouting at you, just laying it out :p. I have to admit i've committed the crime myself before. But now i stay legit. In fact, its impossible now to update windows unless you download a product code/serial code checker. (Something I think is going to be great for Apple's OS!)

8. anterior thread starter macrumors newbie

Right on... Thanks for the clarification!

I didn't read that as shouting :)

Thanks for the replies!

9. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

FYI you can patch your windows software manually without using the update thing. Or you can enable automatic updates and it'll do it that way for you also.

10. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

:confused: :confused: What does that have to do with the thread exactly?

11. mpw Guest

The install disks that came with my iBook don't even install on to that since I changed the hard drive. They throw up a message saying there's a segment missing. Luckily I bought a family license to upgrade my iMac as it was only an extra £9 over the single.

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well, I had to do this once, I SWEAR IT WAS AN EMERGENCY, and needed to use my old iMac and it didn't have an OS on it, I had my iBook's Tiger disk laying right next to me, it installed good, did what I needed to do and erased the drive.

I felt so bad doing it :( But I had no choice....

13. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Sorry it was meant as a reply for SpaceMagic , I should have quoted him hehe.

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...perhaps we need a sticky thread at the top about this subject - a new thread asking the same question comes up at least a couple times every week.....oh yeah!

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Jonathan says.....yea just act the way the programmers would like you to. I know if I had developed software I would not want pirated copies everywhere.

16. ephex macrumors member

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Weekly posts on this subject need to stop. Someone please sticky a thread.