New ibook G4 12inch or refurb G4 Powerbook? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amberashby, Dec 27, 2003.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

I currently have a dual G5 2.0 as my desktop and now I'm in the market for a laptop. I'm a recent switcher and I've decided to ditch my Dell laptop and get a real portable.

I'm looking at the 12 inch ibook and the 12 inch Powerbook refurb. I would use my laptop mostly for web, mail, website design and publishing (when I'm away from home), Photoshop, iPhoto, and maybe just a little video editing. I have a DV camera and plan to take it on vacations and I may want to do a little editing on the road, but mostly it would be at home on the G5.

I qualify for the educational discount on a new one, so here are my options:

ibook G4 800
    60gb HD
    Airport Extreme
    Bluetooth
    Applecare
    Upgrade to 640K (crucial)
    Total = $1433

Powerbook G4 867
    40gb HD
    Airport Extreme
    Applecare
    Upgrade to 640K (crucial)
    Total = $1539

What do you guys think?
    Thanks.

2. niter macrumors 6502

Get the iBook

If you have a G5 at home, you really do not need the PB for what you are doing. I have a 12" iBook with the exact set up as you want (right down to the RAM from crucial) and it is very zippy and powerful. I love it. In the future, I am going to get a G5 for video stuff (after I get a camera too).

The iBook is plenty for your laptop needs and you will save a bundle too.

3. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

I was leaning towards the iBook. I think you are right. Since I have the G5 at home the iBook is probably all I need.

4. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

I do think I'll wait until Macworld. Just in case there is any sort of update/price cut.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

They were just recently updated, so I doubt they will be updated at MW, but it definately can't hurt to wait 2 weeks.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

looks like 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. The original 12" PB and the new 12" ibook are really really similar... it hardly matters which one you get, IMO.

I guess I'd go with the ibook because it saves $100 and is just as good. I dunno, i just really like the new ibook, not sure why (even though i have a rev. B PB).

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes I'd say those two are just about evenly matched. The slight increase in processor in the 867 PB will offset the slightly better video card in the iBook 800. I think the iBooks look cheap in comparison to the PowerBooks, but that's my preference. They are pretty evenly matched on features, although the PB has audio line in and built-in bluetooth, while the new iBook has USB 2.0 (not that big a deal, I've found out!). I did hear some stories of the old PB getting a little warm, but my rev B has had no such problems. The PBs are very scratch-resistant too. Oh, and the iBook can only support video mirroring, unless you use a hack.

In fact, I've just put in an order for 512MB RAM from crucial. I've been using the stock 256MB for the last 3 months. Fine, even for video editing. Hope it's worth it...