new iBook G4 makes clicking noise?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by beethovengirl, May 24, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    My new iBook G4 makes a clicking noise every so often...Anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

thanks! :)
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I have heard tell that some of the new drives are making these noises and that it is normal. However, I don't have any drives that do this, so if it were mine, for my piece of mind, I would give Apple a call.
  3. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If it was mine and I lived near an Apple Store or an Apple reseller, then I would take it in for a professional opinion. If they can look at it in person, it will make the whole process easier.
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    When does it make that noise? Is it at startup or when you are running a lot of applications? If that's the case, then it means your hard drive is working, and noise-making is normal in that case.

It could also be that your hard drive is caught on something or was not properly installed, or that your slot-loading drive is malfunctioning.

There are tons of possiblities, but I personally would not stand for it. Go to the Apple Store and have them fix it--you didn't pay them for a defective computer.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm just running Safari and surfing the web, and I can hear it every 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess I'll call Apple. This is a bit depressing since the last iBook I had [original clamshell] suffered the infamous sleep bug/sad Mac issue soon after I purchased it.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2004
    I called Apple but they didn't have any idea what it could be and just suggested I send it in. hmm...