Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangermouse_197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi...

This is my first Mac (bought on the weekend) so excuse me if I'm being a little dumb here.

I'm basically trying to find the xcode developer tools on my install disks as, according to the Apple site, xcode ships with Panther.

I bought my new G4 12" iBook and all the CDs it came with were:

4x iBook Software Restore CDs
3x MacOS X Install CDs
1x Apple Hardware Test
1x Encyclopaedia

I've searched in a lot of forums and have seen some people say that it doesn't come with the OEM version of Panther (retail box only) and others thats say it's on CD3 of the MacOS X CDs.

I can definately say that it is not on the 3rd MacOS X CD (the one containing X11....I installed that for Gimp).

Can someone please clarify if I have it somewhere on these CDs or will I have to get it from the Apple Developer site ?

Thanks in advance

DM

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
In the retail version is is in the 4th CD, but it's not really a 4th. It's clearly labled as developer tools, and not "disk 4". If you only have 3 OSX CDs I'd have to agree that it's a retail thing only. Or maybe it only ships with Powerbooks/Macs.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: New iBook G4 w/Panther.....xcode ?

Originally posted by dangermouse_197
Hi...

This is my first Mac (bought on the weekend) so excuse me if I'm being a little dumb here.

I'm basically trying to find the xcode developer tools on my install disks as, according to the Apple site, xcode ships with Panther.

I bought my new G4 12" iBook and all the CDs it came with were:

3x MacOS X Install CDs
1x Apple Hardware Test
1x Encyclopaedia

I've searched in a lot of forums and have seen some people say that it doesn't come with the OEM version of Panther (retail box only) and others thats say it's on CD3 of the MacOS X CDs.

I can definately say that it is not on the 3rd MacOS X CD (the one containing X11....I installed that for Gimp).

Can someone please clarify if I have it somewhere on these CDs or will I have to get it from the Apple Developer site ?

Thanks in advance

DM

Apple includes developer tools and Xcode in the Installers folder that is in the Application folder that came with the default install. If you erased it doing an erase and install of Panther, the Restore disk has the Xcode software.

dangermouse_197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the replies....

I am still running the original installer of Panther as supplied by Apple as the default install. I've looked in the Application -> Installers folder and it is empty.

I've looked on each of the install CDs (3) and can't find anything.

Do you think doing a reinstall with the 'Restore' CDs will cause it to appear ? I guess Apple may have left development material out of the usual install.....

Thanks

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
As far as I know, Apple doesn't include the developer tools when the operating system comes pre-installed on a computer.

In your case, it's just a free registration and download away. Simply go to the ADC website login (if you have a .mac account, iTMS account, or Apple online store account, just use that same name and password), click on "Mac OS X" on the navigation sidebar, and then download the xCode developer tools. Make sure to update to xCode 1.0.1 (available in Software Update) after installing xCode 1.0.

Of course, if you're on dialup, this is going to be a bit difficult, but you could always download it at school or somewhere that has a fast connection.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Thanks for the replies....

I am still running the original installer of Panther as supplied by Apple as the default install. I've looked in the Application -> Installers folder and it is empty.

I've looked on each of the install CDs (3) and can't find anything.

Do you think doing a reinstall with the 'Restore' CDs will cause it to appear ? I guess Apple may have left development material out of the usual install.....

Thanks

If your machine's restore CDs restore Panther versions of the applications, then yes, it would have the XCode. If your restore CDs are for Jaguar, it only includes the Jaguar developer tools. You might want to call Apple and request that the current Xcode CD be sent to if your machine came with Jaguar preinstalled.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Re: New iBook G4 w/Panther.....xcode ?

That's where you'll find the Developer Tools. Insert the first Software Restore CD and go through the installation process, then check the Developer Tools box. This should create a Developer Tools folder in the Applications/Installers folder.

I know this becase I spent an hour wasting time at Apple's various sites looking for the X11 SDK, confused over my "missing" fourth Panther disc that others had made reference to, until I finally checked the restore CDs :D

dangermouse_197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Auckland, New Zealand
Many thanks for everyone who replied. As suggested, it was indeed on the 3rd restore disk....a place that I would never have thought to look.

Funny that it wasn't in my Installers folder in the pre-install Panther. A lot of people suggested that but my folder was empty.

Anyway, all good now. Thanks again all :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.