New ibook is dead

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by icarusflies, Aug 29, 2005.

1. icarusflies macrumors member

After about 2 weeks of kernal panics and applications randomly quitting
    I resinstalled the system - the only problem is it keeps quitting half way saying 'installation failed please try again'

I've tried everything from the fcsk command (passed) to doing a low level format on the disk (passed), but the system won't install.

I then did a hardware test and the memory failed.
    The problem is I fly to the US on thursday morning (today, monday is a national holiday). Do you think my local reseller (GBM in Manchester, England) will give me a replacement if I go in tomorrow?

Or should I try an applestore in the states as my invoice is Apple International after all

I do think I am entitled to a replacement as the memory is the base memory soldered in, so I could claim dead on arrival.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

replacing memory modules is a piece of cake, they should do it while you wait.

3. icarusflies thread starter macrumors member

It's the base memory though - the soldered in stuff

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

well, then... it needs to be replaced.

ask your store what they can do about it and explain that you are leaving shortly and that you need a working mac while you're away. do not raise your voice and be very calm and polite about the issue - if they value you as a customer and see that there could be continuing business relationship with you they might do whatever it takes to exchange your mac under warranty and make you happy, or at least explain how you should address the issue with some other apple-certified company in the states.

good luck!

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

If you're taking it to the states to be replaced wont you have to cart all its boxing and stuff around with you too :(

Phone Apple first thing on Tuesday and ask them.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Is it a build to order or a standard configuration of iBook? If it's a standard configuration just return it and get your money back, if your still in the 14 day return period. Then when you get state side go to an apple store and get a new one. I think the prices in the US are cheaper as well. But I'm not sure. You will need to buy a power supply in England for it though.