New iBook not playing DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Josh, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hi,

I tried watching a DVD on my new 14" iBook, and for some reasons, it won't load (even tried other DVD discs which were not scratched).

It plays CDs just fine, and reads the Tiger install DVD just fine, but just won't play movies.

I tried looking around, but found no help. Any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If it wasn't reading any DVDs, then it might be a drive problem (I've seen this happen more than once, though usually on desktops), but if it reads data DVDs ok, then it's probably a software issue with DVD Player.app.

You say it's a new computer, so are you running Tiger? I had problems with the DVD player under 10.4.0, and although 10.4.1 fixed them, I could usually get discs to play by opening the DVD Player app first then putting the DVD in (that order only). Try this and see if it helps. If you haven't updated to 10.4.1, do that, too.

You might also try VLC and see if that does you any good--it's a freeware media player that can play most DVDs, though I like Apple's player better.

Oh, and if it's just auto-play that's giving you problems, it might be set to "off"--check the Hardware section of System Preferences.

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

It seems to be working just fine now ???

I tried both ways: load dvd first, and open dvd player first. Worked perfect.

The only difference now is that I have my AC cord in.

Last time there was about an hour left on my charge. Would that have any thing to do with it? I suppose that would make sense...but I'm a bit new to both laptops and Macs lol