New IBook power adaptor not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Djarum, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Djarum macrumors newbie

I have a new IBook (700 mhz G3, 12.1 screen. Got 3 months ago) and all of the sudden today the power adaptor has stopped working. No light at all. So question is... How the hell do I fix this? I'd rather not have to send this off to Apple. So someone please help me out.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

When you pull out the connector that goes to the iBook, do you usually pull on the cord or the connector?

3. qedigital macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem with my iBook 800. The adapter no longer glows green when the battery is charged. The amber colour is still present upon recharging but it is more orange than usual. Somebody told me that they had heard of the problem in a forum some time ago but my local Apple dealer claims ignorance. I really don't want to part with my iBook for any period of time so while the adapter works, I'll hold off on sending it away. Have any other iBook owners experienced this problem?

4. Djarum thread starter macrumors newbie

I normally pull on the connector... and mine is not charging at all, no glow period.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

If you don't want to send it in to Apple, the only thing to do is buy a new one. They're available at the Apple store for $80.

irmongoose

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

My power adapter died because I pulled on the cord all the time. If you're experienced in soldering, you might want to pull the silver cover of the connector back and check to see if the solder points are good. If all else fails, www.devdepot.com sells them for $59 + shipping.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I had a simialr issue except the plug itself was kinda broken. This was right after getting it back from applecare too so I had already gone a week without osx and then no way to use it until i got the new adapter. Apple send me out a new adapter and it worked fine. I called them wednesday night like right at 7:50 and they took down my request for a new one. They would have submitted the order then but by the timei got thru the distribution cnter was closed so the order was put in the next day and Bam i got the adaptor on the friday of that week. All i had to do was repackeage and send back the broken one. havign an extra one around is nice too tho.