new ibook questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xboiledeggx, Nov 6, 2005.

1. xboiledeggx macrumors newbie

Hey all i just joined the cult of mac by buying a new 12" ibook this past week. I have been a windows user pretty much all my life but am tired with their lack of everything good so i switched. I have some basic questions. I want to upgrade the ram but wont buy it from apple ( too expensive) and i was reading the manual and it says i only have one ram slot but max ram is 1.5 GB how is that possible it should be max 1GB if only one slot is behind the keyboard i want to have 1 GIG of ram and it has 512 already so do i have to buy a new 1 GIG stick and remove the 512 to put the gig in there?

and also, the 40 GB HD comes with only 25 Gb of room after they install all those programs like iDVD and iPhoto, i dragged most of those programs to the trash to delete them but only got back like a gig how do i make my HD space go up to like 30 GB or is that even possible with OS X (does OS X take THAT much room??)?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In your Applications folder there is probably a folder with installers for XCode and the rest of the Developers Tools. Burn these to CD then delete them.

Then get on Version Tracker and do a quick search for a free tool to delete all the additional languages from OSX and the installed Apps. That normally gets you quite a lot of space back too.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

You have one available expansion slot. That means that the 512MB of Ram is soldered in and that you can add a up to a 1GB stick into that expansion slot.

5. xboiledeggx thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran mac janitor and took off almost all the languages of OS X and it hardly took off maybe 500k.

thanks for the ram info.

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

You can also take all the printer drivers and trash them. (or pick the ones you are not going to use) That will free up some space again.

If you have iLife'05 I think Garageband is a pretty big app. that you could delete if you don't use it and make sure you delete all the loops and instruments.(that's probably the biggest chunk)