Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Don't ask where I get this

M8597X/C
iBook 12.1TFT/500MHZ/128MBSD/15G/CD/E/56K/FW
Constrained Next shipment Week 1 May

M8599X/C
iBook 600MHZ/12.1TFT/128MBSD/20G/Combo/E/56K
Constrained Next shipment Week 1 Mayx x

M7701X/A
iBook 600MHZ/14"TFT/256MBD/20G/Combo/E/56K
Constrained Next shipment Week 1 May

I don't know when MWNY is, but I guarentee from experience the above means new iBooks are guarenteed to come out very very soon (1-3weeks)

Also to note..... with the new eMac 17" for so cheap, I think we can easily guarentee a G4 in the good old 15" CRT iMac in the next month and even possibly (but remotely) in the iBook.... I can say thou, I would say 700 mhz 12" iBooks is most likely.... And I think a possible change in form factor of the 14" iBook and a G4

Summarising

Over the next 4 weeks :

iBook

3 models

600 Mhz, g3 12", 15gb, 128 COMBO
700 Mhz, g3 12", 20gb, 256 COMBO
550 MHZ, g4 14", 20gb, 256 COMBO (Back to Pismo type form?)

iMac

CRT 700Mhz, G3, CD 128 20gb
CRT 667Mhz, G4, CD-RW 128 20gb
CRT 667Mhz, G4, CD-RW 256 40gb
(NO DVD-R / COMBO to keep iMac G4 and LCD's happy)

iMac more realistic
CRT 600Mhz, G3, CD-RW 128 40gb
CRT 700Mhz, G3, COMBO 256 60gb

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I would be very surprised if any of this happened.

It would be weird if Apple released a new iBook some time between now and MWNY. Why wouldn't they have released it with the eMac and TiBooks? Or why wouldn't they wait till MWNY?

The rest of the specs seem to be optimistic at best...

Why would there be 3 different iBooks, the slowest on with the largest screen? And I highly doubt we will see G4s in the CRT iMac any time soon.

oeyvind

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
I'd say the "new" iBook and a slightly updated PowerBook G4 will be there for MWNY... what will be new? Built-in Bluetooth! Anything else, if we're lucky built-in Superdrive as well.

Remember the spring 2002 PB G4 now is sans IrDA.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Don't think this will happen,
This is most unlikely.
the old 15" iMac has been given a facelift to eMac. which is also available for non-educational purposes.
And Apple moved to 17" in favor of 15" so why would they go back?
To offer a lower price?!? yeah right, why did they bring out the eMac in the first place then?
and then those iBooks specs, that is pure thumbsucking (as we say over here, that means made up)
iBook will keep it's G3 status, which is not such bad specs, and seen the state of Maine buying so many iBooks would be like a slap in the face for them.
iBooks definitely no upgrade, at least until end '02. (first the pro-line will be updated seriously)

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Beej, I had no idea that bambi smoked. Those lungs must be as black as a ....wel, black. :D
But you said something of moving???
I'dd like to see that.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Good speculation. Only time will tell if its true. Make sure you post back on this thread if anything happens.

I'm very interested in watching where the G4s are going. If Apple puts them in all their machines that means IBM is not supplying any CPUs. Now if the rumors are true that the nextgen chip won't be the G5 from Motorola, but a totally new one from IBM, that would be huge.

Somethings got to give.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
the iBooks are due for updates. its going to happen, no matter how "wierd" it may seem. if you check with any official mac dealer that ISN'T the apple store, they are all trying to get rid of the old iBook stock, and the new iBooks are not being ordered anymore. Some CompUSA's are nearly giving away iBooks.

gozman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
the iBooks are due for updates. its going to happen, no matter how "wierd" it may seem. if you check with any official mac dealer that ISN'T the apple store, they are all trying to get rid of the old iBook stock, and the new iBooks are not being ordered anymore. Some CompUSA's are nearly giving away iBooks.

In light of the eMac announcement and it's desire to make up lost ground in the education market, It makes a great deal of sence for Apple to update the iBooks and get at least 1 model under $1000 ASAP! Schools are making purchases or at least purchase orders NOW for installation over the summer to have the new systems ready to go for the 2002-2003 school year. The eMac Timing is good(early April would have been better) and anything else Apple wants to see education buy in volume needs to be out in the open in the next week or 10 days. Otherwise, Apple will most likely wait until next year for high volume sales of those items.

They seem to be aware of this as they were able to get the eMac on the state's contract lists for computer purchases and announce it to schools all within about 24 hours.

At least here in Ohio, many districts already have purchasing plans in place with orders just waiting to be sent because of local district school funding issues on the May 7th Ballot.
Many school districts cannot commit to purchasing until they know the fate of their levies on the ballot.

My "educated" two cents worth

Greg
Educational Technology Consultant

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Hey Apple: If your listening...

I'm a soon to be powerbook customer who would definatly reconsider the ibook (even if they put a new G5 or whatever in the PB's) if it had a G4 and superdrive.

Just a thought.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Geert
Beej, I had no idea that bambi smoked. Those lungs must be as black as a ....wel, black. :D

no kidding....u must be a mad-smoker Beej!!!

anyway...iBooks...I feel it's only a matter of time (very short time) that we'll see them shipping with G4 chips...

I mean...why not?! everything else has a G4 now... :rolleyes:

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by iH8Quark
if they update the iBook soon I say we're getting G5 at MWNY. That's the only thing left.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me. :D :p ;)

I don't think we're going to see the G5...I feel like Apple's going to squeeze out as much as possible from the G4....just like they have been doing with the G3...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I don't think we're going to see the G5...I feel like Apple's going to squeeze out as much as possible from the G4....just like they have been doing with the G3...

But do you really think that Apple's going to update the motherboard but keep the same G4 chip at maybe 1.2/1.4 dual? Apple could drag that out for another year and a half... the G4 is getting very long in the tooth. And once again, marketing wise, they've got G4s in practically all their products now. The G4 is no longer set apart as a "pro" processor. They simply can't keep going at it like this.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
Originally posted by iH8Quark
if they update the iBook soon I say we're getting G5 at MWNY. That's the only thing left.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me. :D :p ;)

it really looks like a G5 (or whatever apple decides to call the new powermac)

i am jefhatfield, but i am using this alternate identity until dukestreet makes my new avatar...i can't wait

hint: it relates to this all:)

also...ibook should come with g4 chip by next year for sure since motorola is carrying the torch for apple right now...let's just give moto a little nudge

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i think the specs given seem a bit unreasonable, but we'll have to wait and see.

jef, you have a pretty dang high post count for an alternate identity. ha.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I also think it's time again to separate the "professional" line processors from the "consumer" line processors...

the G4 is no longer the big dog...and Apple does need to do something...

I was just feeling that they wouldn't....seems they want to drag it out as much as possible...

on the other hand...yes jef does have a high post count on "networkman"...something to make u think even more is that he hasn't used that handle for over 2 months now...he he he ;)

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
600 Mhz, g3 12", 15gb, 128 COMBO
700 Mhz, g3 12", 20gb, 256 COMBO
550 MHZ, g4 14", 20gb, 256 COMBO (Back to Pismo type form?)

I dissagree with these specs

i think the 14" will have a 733mhz G4 30gb 256 combo

I doubt apple will still produce anymore G3 machines.. this is the last we've seen of them. Most likely G3s and 15" flat will be discoutinued.

If this is true All apples will be G4's meaning the G5 for the powermac is looking to be just around the corner!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by eyelikeart

on the other hand...yes jef does have a high post count on "networkman"...something to make u think even more is that he hasn't used that handle for over 2 months now...he he he ;)

i wish i could combine the number of posts and that way, i might be in second place

i spent a whole year being the number one poster i think until eye came along

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
jef- why are you using the other name just because the other is waiting for the avatar? building up suspense i guess?

hopefully that's what apple's doing as well..

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i wasn't sure if duke could work on the avatar if i was online as jefhatfield, that's all

duke's a great artist:D

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Top end iBook

Originally posted by djniche
i think the 14" will have a 733mhz G4 30gb 256 combo
That would make it faster than my 9 month old 667 TiBook. I don't see it. I don't *want* to see it!

Seems wildly unlikely this year.

Chris

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Why wouldn't apple keep alittle left in the G4 so they could us it as upgrades to the consumer lines in the future? We have G4s almost across the board now if they upgrade the powermacs to G5 their would be a seperation just like before with the Consumer being G4 and pro being a G5 new advancements to the 5 would go to the power mac and the 4 in the consumers would eventually be 1.4

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
macpoops has a point, in 2 years people using consumer-line macs will still want to compete with pentiums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.