New ibook switcher thanking forumistas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Red Belly, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Red Belly macrumors member

May 9, 2005
    I just ordered the new 14" ibook (stock), an airport express and a tucano second skin (€1441). It'll probably be a week before I get it. I'd like to thank all the macrumours forumistas for their helpfulness during the last few months, especially for patiently answering newbie questions. While not foremost among my reasons for deciding to switch, I have certainly discovered and enjoyed the sense of community that exists among mac users.

The updates did cause me to change my purchasing decision, specifically I decided to go for the 14" Superdrive instead of the 12" with an external dvd rw drive because of the updates to the superdrive, the 512 RAM and the price drop. For €250 extra I get the bigger screen, the slightly faster processor and the Superdrive (before the upgrades these extra features cost roughly €500 more). Also, I had planned to buy a Gig of 3rd party ram but with the update to 512 I can confidently work with that, see how it goes and subsequently upgrade if necessary and when I have the cash. I expected to make the switch in June and the extra couple of months on this creaking PC has been a pain, but worth it nonetheless.

Thanks for your help, no doubt I'll need it again!

2. akm macrumors member

Jun 16, 2005
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I’ll second Red Belly’s words of thanks; I’m switching (from a ThinkPad) to a 14” iBook and getting a bitolithic protection pack (sleeve, mouse/power adapter case, screen protector) for it and for when I am at a desk, a Logitech V500 Cordless Notebook Mouse. I was not originally going to be able to afford the SuperDrive, but with the updates, I’ll be able to, so ‘am a happy camper :)

Still haven’t made up my mind on the RAM; may go for an extra 512 from Crucial, but I’ll worry about that later. I’ve been waiting to make the switch since about April/May, but was holding out for the update; just glad they came before school started :)

Thanks everyone!
  3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    You'll want the Ram. I'm using the new stock 14" iBook, and although it runs OK, more ram is definitely better ;)
  4. realmcenter macrumors member

Jul 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have 512MB in my 2-week-old iBook and just ordered a 1GB stick. 512MB is enough if you only keep one or two apps or so open at a time, but if you want to run a lot of apps simultaneously more memory is definitely needed.