new iBook: Tips anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rbg, Jun 8, 2005.

1. rbg macrumors newbie

I'm about to pick up my brand new iBook in 1 hour and 18minutes (yes I am counting now :p).

I've never owned a Mac before, let alone an iBook.

Anyone have any tips/advice for me?..

I know I should check for dead pixels.
    Somone told me to plug the charger into the wall, then flick the switch, then plug it into laptop (makes battery last longer apparently)..

Anything else?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't check for dead pixels personally. Ignorance is bliss. :)

However, make sure you fully charge her and then flatten her as much as possible, then fully charge her again to properly calibrate the battery. Do this every so often as well just to maintain a healthy cell.

Congratulations on the buy, I love mine. :)

3. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Congratulations, by now you probably already own the most obsolete piece of Apple technology that money can buy at the moment. The current iBook doesn't even support all features of Mac OS X (10.4). I'm in a similar situation, I recently bought a Powerbook. Your advantage is that you didn't pay as much as I did.

4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

:D

Sad, but true.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it'll run 10.4, 10.5 and probably 10.6, i'd wait till the imminent speed bump is here before buying, it's so long overdue it cant be long.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

sods law sais the new ibook will be released today. But somehow i think not.

SHADOw
    :confused:

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Get Bluetooth and a bigger hard drive.

lasuther

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I resemble that remark...what's so obsolete about my iBook? I love it still, and I've only been a switcher for right at a year!

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

WOW OMGZZZ!!!!

ibooks dont support core image. most users dont even use it and there are like no apps that even have implemented it yet. people are still using G3'S and what not.

your ibook is not an obsoloete piece of ****. its nice and mine is nice and will run the next few OSX just fine. i just bought mine in march and yes it is a great machine and i expect to at least get 1000 for it when the new intel Powerbooks come out and throw that grand towards one.

i just couldnt resist even though i love my baby now

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I love my 933MHz iBook G4. I don't die a little more on the inside whenever I don't see the fancy ripples on my dashboard. :rolleyes:

If you REALLY like seeing fancy ripples and you REALLY like eating ramen you could probably get a Powermac instead of an iBook, but I don't recommend it... ramen is bad for you.

11. allpar macrumors 6502

So...

What's the minimum laptop required to run CoreVideo?

12. cashmoney macrumors member

funny, i'm buying my iBook today too. A 12 inch one stock... Except i'm not counting down... :p

13. allpar macrumors 6502

Same boat

I was planning to buy one but now I'm not sure.
    1) How long until the Intel-based iBooks come out? I keep laptops for about six years.
    2) CoreVideo is an issue - I can easily see Photoshop-like programs based on it with greater speed than PS itself.
    3) How's battery life, etc, in the real world? How's it compare with my clamshell G3-333? Should I just go used?
    4) Given the expected fall in sales, will Apple be discounting?

14. asqy macrumors regular

I don't think ibooks will be intel based for some time.

I might atart thinking again of buying an ibook if they discount. I'd only be using it as a notetaker.

15. allpar macrumors 6502

hmmm

I'd think they'd be the first to be converted based on the keynote.
    As a notetaker...I'd go with a Linux laptop. (Actually I already have a Vaio superslim I use for that purpose - got it used - it's only a little newer than the iBook!)

16. asqy macrumors regular

Well i think the powerbooks would be before the ibooks. Also I dont think the ibooks will be getting itel until this time in 2006.

Thats a fair while away.

I mean I could buy a g4 now buy ms office for it and just forget. Since i dont think ill be upgrading much or buying much software for it.

17. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I realise its a bit old where it comes to the hardware side of things...
    but i don't care :D

its a very nice peice of technology in my opinion... :)