New iBook USB ports faulty?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kleinerp, Aug 10, 2005.

1. kleinerp macrumors newbie

I have just received my new 12" 1.33GHz iBook and wondered if there was anyone successfully using a SmartDisk Firelite USB powered HD with it?

When I plug it into either of the two USB ports (which are supposed to be USB 2.0) the drive does not power up and just clicks. The manual says that if a clicking sound is heard then not enough power is being supplied. How can this be - the ports are supposed to be USB 2.0!!

I have tried the drive on a Mac Mini at work running Tiger and it is recognised fine. If it works fine through the USB 2.0 ports on the Mini then it should work through the USB 2.0 ports on the iBook shouldn't it?

I've also tested the drive on the USB 2.0 ports on my work Windows machine and it runs fine. So I can safely say that the external hard drive is not the problem.

Any ideas? Can anyone help?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

My only guess would be that the drive is attempting to draw more power (power, not data) from the USB connection than the iBook can deliver. Maybe the USB bus on the iBook was not allocated much power in order to keep running life on a single charge optimal...

Have you tried with the iBook plugged in?

Honestly, i'm just as confused as you, but maybe this helps.

3. kleinerp thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried resetting PRAM, NVRAM, PMU. The iBook is plugged into the mains and still the hard drive does not power up!!

Would be good to hear if there is anyone who has a Firelite drive working with their iBook.

4. Arcus macrumors 6502a

http://girr.org/mac_stuff/usb_stuff.html

Interesting reading. Doesnt answer your specific question but may lead to some conclusions.