New iBook....What else do I need? B Reasonable

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Jan 15, 2005.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

About to burn the plastic on a 14" iBook for my wife (Amazon with a $150 rebate). Basic config, no BT, no SuperDrive. I just ordered a BenQ M310 wireless mouse. Looking for the following:

1. carrying bag: my better half will be taking this back and forth to her college classes and then to her own classroom (soon ;) ). She wants something other than black industrial design. Probably not a backpack either. Suggestions???? BTW, I have been to the thread that lists all the makers of bags and sleeves. Still looking. Recommendations welcome.

2. Is a cover for the keys necessary to protect the screen? If so, can you recommend any?

3. Programs. I will be installing Mozilla as browser and email ( I know Safari is there and waiting but really like Mozilla). Also, M$ Office 03 (was hoping that iWorks 05) would ship but looks like "not". Any other recommendations? Oh, the iBook will be used mainly for email, papers. Nothing really intensive like Photoshop or movie editing. I heard of a program that actually changes the battery life display from "bars" to a %. I'll have to go back through the thread for "cool apps" but specifically looking for apps for laptop/iBook.

Would like to thank you all for your suggestions. Cheers

2. paulman macrumors member

Check out crumpler bags. The "crippy duck" one looks pretty decent although I don't as yet own one.

3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I would suggest buy MS office. Although the iBooks come with appleworks (or iWorks) Microsoft office is a just a universal program.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

you don't need a mod to change the display of the battery life, you've got like four choice, just the little battery, battery + time , or battery + percent , or no battery dispaly at all.

I suggest timbuk2 bags, very stylish, kind of expensive but worth it if it rains because its saved my powerbook once or twice when caught in a storm. I also have a Spire backpack which I love but either will do.

as for keyboard cover, I have / had one when I had an iBook, its really boils down to personal preference, it will keep it cleaner but you've got that extra thing, http://www.iskin.com/products.html. Thats the brand I got and its qutie sturdy. This isn't a necessity and you may want to see how dirty you personally get the iBook keyboard.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You whould keep something between your keyboard and the display when it is closed to prevent markings on the screen. You can use the piece of foam that Apple ships them with, I did for a while. If you want something more stylish you can get one of these, they are quite nice and can be used to clean your laptop as well.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Insurance. There's a probability it will get stolen somewhere between home and class. Laptops are probably the most stolen item, and Apple laptops surely top the heap. Why do you think there are so many Powerbooks on Ebay? Especially ones where the seller "misplaced" the original CDs?

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would also recommend that you buy a little more RAM for it than the default it ships with - it'll make the laptop run much more smoothly.....oh yeah!

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

those aren't all stolen I think your making a mountain of a mole hill, and with the way my powerbook has been lately, eBay has crossed my mind.

9. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

As for the keyboard cover--I'm a student and carry my iBook in my backpack with my books (inside a sturdy, separate sleeve). I would definitely recommend keeping *something* in between the screen and keyboard, whether it's a special keyboard cover or the piece of foam that comes with it or just a soft cloth.

Once she graduates and is teaching, it might be nice to have a sort of desktop-setup in the classroom, with a usb keyboard and a Notebook Stand. I know the guy who sells these and I really like them--I have one on my desk at home and one at my office. I prefer it over an iCurve stand. (For an iBook you'd want to get the 30 degree angle variety.)

10. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Yippy, Thanks for the link. I knew I had seen these b4 but couldn't remember where. It's on my list :) Cheers

11. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Good idea. It was in the back of my mind to up the ram. Probably go with 3rd party ram. Think I bought from 1800memory4less for my G5 and everything worked out well. I will have to start searching and checking prices. I know that I will be limited to a single stick and 1g would be nice but probably a bit pricey. Been watching the forum and everyone swears by Crucial but their prices seem to be higher too. Ah, decisions. Cheers

12. alywa macrumors 6502

Bag Suggestion

I bought my wife an Acme Made bag... she loves it. IMHO they are the Kate Spade of computer bags, stylish, distinctive, and well-made. Specifically, the ballistic nylon, single color "slim" bags are really cool. Check them out at http://www.acmemade.com/theslim.html

Dealing with customer service with them was also excellent.

(Note: I don't work for, own, have a stake in, or otherwise have any interest in Acme Made... I'm just really impressed with their bags).

-alywa

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

RAM is key
    I don't think a protective cover between the keys and the screen is needed
    Case is good, find one you like
    Click on the battery icon to change it up, but every time my PowerBook says, "0:02" it has gone to sleep two minutes afterwards.
    Take care of the battery!
    Look around on Apple's website. I can get 5:30 out of my PowerBook every time because I take care of my battery.
    And I like the way a battery turns a little bit red when you drop below 20%, it is a nice touch.
    A bluetooth module installed inside it is another thing to get. With the way more and more is becoming BT-enabled, its a good idea if you plan on keeping it around for a while.

14. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

How much ram would you recommend? Prices for 512 are ~ $70-100 with a 1gb at $200. I'm balking at $200, so would 512 plus the 256 be enough to run smoothly??? Email, word processing, iPhoto, Print Shop, web surfing would be the mainstay. Cheers

15. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Ok, a bit off topic. Initial battery breakin. I read somewhere the "correct" procedure for breaking in a new battery and then maintaining it. Sorry to say that at the time I wasn't thinking of getting a laptop so I didn't think to archive it. Anybody give me the lowdown on "how to"? Cheers

16. carlos700 macrumors regular

I recommend the 12-inch iBook G4. It's just $999 before rebate. It is super fast (I have one), plus the 14-inch screen is bloated. They put the XGA resolution and blew it up on the 14-inch. Everything looks way too large. The 14-inch iBook should have at least a 1400-by-1050 Resolution. I've seen some Dell's with those and they are super-crisp.

17. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Save up some $$$ and buy AppleCare - best investment you'll make.

19. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I use a nice little radtech pad mentioned in this frame...works like a charm and can be used to clean LCDs. I'm a fan...

(prior to purchasing the pad, I did have smudges from the middle keys on the keyboard touching the screen)

20. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

as an owner of a 'crippy duck,' i would have to say that i have been quite pleased with it. perfect fit for my ibook (though it is a 12") + a few books or notebooks. makes us college kids happy.

21. Electric Monk macrumors member

I know you said to be reasonable but Waterfield Designs (www.sfbags.com) makes the best messenger bag I have ever used (except for the very specific purpose of actually being a bike messenger where the freakishly big Timbuk2 bag is the best... With the exception of one particularly hard to find purple San Fran bag. Sigh. If anyone here ever runs into one PM me wouldja).

They are pricey though. You can get the bag, or just a (rather nice) case for the 'book or both in a combo deal.

22. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

It's done! Ordered and keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks to all for your advice. Thought that I'd give you an update:

First of all, just ordered the 14" iBook (60gb, combo, airport extreme, 256mg) from Amazon. Pretty good deal: $150 rebate, free shipping and no tax. Shipping 24 Jan, arrival 27-31 Jan. Hmmm, maybe iLife 05 will be installed????? See my alternate plans below if not. I'm a happy camper and hope that my wife (the proud owner) will be also. Read some speculation about G5 iBooks coming but think that's a dream. Everyone here knows that if you get in that "waiting for the next version etc." you'll be waiting forever. I'm glad it's done :) .

Ok, more stuff. Just purchased the BenQ M310 wireless mouse . Read a review of it and thought that it would be the perfect laptop companion. We shall see.

Because of your input I've also just purchased the RadTech ScreensavRz to cover the keyboard and protect the screen. Cheap insurance. Speaking of insurance, I'll probably purchase AppleCare. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can purchase AppleCare ANYTIME w/in a year of purchase of the iBook. So, I'll get it but a bit later. Talked to my wife and think that she'll stick with her backpack or other bag so will probably just pickup a sleeve. Will keep looking for that.

As for software. I have a student edition of M$ Office that came with 3 licensed copys. One is currently installed on my G5 so I'm set there. Will be using Mozilla as browser/email.

I'll be searching for RAM. Would like to a 1g stick but at $200 it looks like I'll be getting a 512 stick for about $80-100.

I read about the intro for iLife 05 and see that it probably won't be shipping w/ new Macs until after Jan 22 but I can get it on CD for $20 if purchasing a new Mac after Jan 11. Will probably go this route.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to give me your thoughts ;) . I really appreciate it. BTW still looking for advice on a sleeve. Cheers

23. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

timbuk2 is where it's at for bags. quality and style can't be beat